• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funkodysse

OpenGL DirectX vs OpenGL

This topic is 6160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi.. i have been doing some 3D with OpenGL and liked it because of its simplisity. and now im trying to learn Direct3D which is really a nightmare compared to openGL. OpengGL is so simple to learn and Direct3D is so hard, why is that?, 1. which one is the fastest Direct3D or OpenGL? 2. which tecniq is the most supported (graphics card)? 3. why is direct3D so difficult to learn compared to OpenGL? Edited by - Funkodysse on November 19, 2001 3:59:39 AM

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
do a search for "D3D vs OGL" or "DirectX vx OpenGL" and read the bazillion useless arguments in all the threads.

Anyway, to somewhat answer your questions :

1) depends on the hardware, not the API,
2) on Windows and low end cards, D3D, on other platforms and high end cards, OGL,
3) DX is based on COM which has to be the ugliest paradigm in the world. As to why DX is using it, ask MS.

Hope this helps, and I hope someone will close this thread before it degenerates.

quote:
Original post by Funkodysse
i find is as nightmare.

Elaborate.

quote:

OpengGL is so simple to learn and Direct3D is so hard, why is that?,

I don''t know why you find it that way. I''m not you.

Before anyone think''s I''ve gone completely insane, I like to entertain these threads for a while and close them when they go insane. I''ll at least give people a chance.

Guest Anonymous Poster
1.) Depends on the hardware. If the company can write better OpenGL drivers (like nVidia, although nVidia has a good balance)... than OpenGL.. if they can write better D3D drivers (like ATi)... than D3D. OpenGL runs much better under *nix, BeOS, Max OS (any version really).. simply because D3D can''t run under those (ok, under Linux with whine kinda.. but it''s not really D3D).

2.) Quake 3 = OpenGL, Unreal Tournament = DirectX... both accomplish the same thing. OpenGL is used for high end cad/rendering a LOT more often than DirectX, but I think in the games sector, it is equally split (used to be more DX, but I don''t think so anymore).

3.) D3D has a different coding format/setup/learning curve than OpenGL... I can''t say why you think it''s harder. I beleive it''s because OpenGL deals with a lot more of the math stuff for you though (although, I don''t use d3d, so I can''t really compare).

Billy

glide is the best.

But seriously:

1. If you write bad code, both can be very slow. I used to sell bikes and people would ask "which bike is faster".... If you write good code, glide will be faster.

2. Both, but some cards do more than others. Glide is supported equally well on all new cards.

3. I find DX8 to be very similar to OpenGL, but different from glide.

Edited by - CrazedGenius on November 14, 2001 10:22:15 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!