DirectX vs OpenGL

Started by
13 comments, last by Funkodysse 22 years, 5 months ago
whats glide?
Advertisement
Yeah! And Glide looks much smoother then DX or OGL.. damn thing that it doesn''t support so many features and a high polygon count.

/MindWipe

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Both apis are state machines. As to why ms uses com is because they reinvent new interfaces each year so older apps could still work with new dx sdk. Also so you could use visual basic to write dx apps. I find both easy to use and understand. There is not much com in dx8 which looks c/c++ish nowdays for the end user, ofcourse internals are still com based. Ati likes opengl as they admit it in one of their pdf docs on vertex/pixel shaders I think. Nvidia also leans towards opengl. Nothing really important just my observations
it doesn''t matter anyway. how can you become a l33t coder if you can''t decide which API to use on your own. coding is difficult, PERIOD. regardless of what API, language, dev. kit, etc. you use. that''s why everyone isn''t making games that sell 1,000,000 the first time they touch a computer.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
quote:Original post by JD
Ati likes opengl as they admit it in one of their pdf docs on vertex/pixel shaders I think. Nvidia also leans towards opengl. Nothing really important just my observations

They both made press releases stating that the only way to get full access to their programmable shaders was through OpenGL''s extensions. They didn''t want people to only see "DirectX 8''s features" and not see their own hard work that didn''t get expossed in the API. However, it may not mean that they "lean" towards OpenGL.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement