• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Albeoris

How to work with legacy textures using DirectX11?

This topic is 1209 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there,

I have a legacy texture 2d in the one of these formats: 8bppIndexed, 16bppArgb1555, 16bppRgb555, 24bppRgb

How I can use DirectX11 to show them?

Thank you for your attention.

Advertisement

8bppIndexed: I guess it's not supported and needs to be manually decoded, but I'm not entirely sure.

16bppArgb1555: DXGI_FORMAT_B5G5R5A1_UNORM. Requires feature level 11.1 and Windows 8, else it needs to be converted manually.

16bppRgb555: I only count 15bpp. If that's the case same as above (alpha is ignored), if you meant 565 then DXGI_FORMAT_B5G6R5_UNORM. Same requirement as above.

24bppRgb: not supported, needs to manually converted to 32bpp and loaded as DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM

I'm not totally sure, but if these textures are loaded from disk, I would expect that the simplest thing might be to process them offline into whatever your most common format is, whether that is A8R8G8B8_UNORM, B8G8R8A8_UNORM_SRGB, or B8G8R8X8_UNORM_SRGB, assuming that they are images, and then load the converted textures.

If they are actually data stored as textures, that may not work as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!