Using hiring audio test in your portfolio

Started by
8 comments, last by Dannthr 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I recently was in the hiring process with a pretty big game studio and I sadly didn't get taken past the audio test part. The thing is I do think the tests are pretty good for my level, I am en entry level sound designer and the job was for 3+ years of experience.

Do you think it is acceptable to use these in my portfolio? At the end of the days they are still failures but they gave me feedback and I can improve them a bit based on that.

(obviously the tests are not from protected game footage)

Thanks

Advertisement

Hard to say without seeing them, can you post links?

Well not really since this is the question I am asking.

I am not really talking about the quality, more like : Is it something you should do regardless of quality (like is it badly viewed)?

Well you're saying 1 person at a company thought it was bad, however you maintain that it is good. I have no way to judge either the content or the quality for myself so both remain unknown. So all I can say is if it's good and representative of you work, put it in your portfolio. If it's bad and not representative of your work, don't put it in your portfolio.

I am talking basically more about the legal/mentality part of it.

Like am I allowed to post them if I want to, since they were private tests but they were not using any unknown/secret footage. (I didn't sign an NDA basically)

And if I am allowed to do so is it badly seen by potential people who would want to hire me after.

I am really not talking about quality or anything here, but they didn't tell me it was bad, they told me I had one specific kind of sound that was not developped enough for what they would have wanted me to do.

I've always shared just the audio from any tests that I've done in the past. That should be more than fine to do from a legal stance.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

If you're not infringing anything legal etc. (what nsmadsen said), use them at your discretion. I've not hired people before or had much experience of sound design in video games. However, if I was employer I'd love to hear what you thought was good + what you were passionate about. Own ya work! smile.png

Ah ok I understand now. I would imagine it's fine to use that material from a legal standpoint. The easiest solution, that will give you piece of mind, would just be to ask them if it's cool if you put that work into your portfolio.

I do a lot of casting auditions for commercials and it's pretty common for the actors to ask me if they could get a copy of their audition to put in their demo reel. Unless there's an NDA I can't remember a time where that request has been rejected. It's always a yes and/or yes but wait until after the air date.

Ok thank you guys, so I am going to fix what they told me and post them I think. Probably send them a mail too to check with them.

Although it's pretty weird if I put just the audio since it is sound design based on gameplay footage. So I think I have to post everything.

I'll probably post them here to check for your opinion. If you want to know more it was for CD Projekt Red and I had to resdesign 4 fights from the Witcher 2 and 3 (each against a different monster) and they fought my monster sounds lacked a bit on the emotional side.

Always fix what they tell you to fix--this is an iterative industry. It's also super important that you make it clear that it is a sound replacement demonstration--because misrepresenting yourself, even by accident, could seriously jeopardize opportunities.

- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement