What need to learn gpp?

Started by
12 comments, last by Alberth 8 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I know my question not first. What I should prefer to learn to be gameplay developer? Should I learn framework like DirectX, OpenGL, XNA/Monogame, or I need to learn engine like Unity, UE?
Advertisement

Is there such a thing as a "gameplay developer"?

I've honestly never heard of it. You could explain what someone who is a "gameplay developer" does? That way we can give you an accurate answer.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Gameplay developer is person who implement basic game function like: picking up items and inventory system in RPG.

Oh. Well how much programming experience do you have? What languages have you programmed with and for how long with each?

Gameplay programmer, gameplay engineer, or similar title is one of the most common type of programmer in games. The role is not to build an engine or build tools or technology; they start with an enormous list of objects and then make all the things. Anything that can be interacted with, anything that can be used in any way or anything that does something, that is something they program.

While it helps to know things like the rendering pipeline, it is not necessary for most daily work. If your goal at the moment is to make a game, by all means start with an existing major engine. That is exactly what you'll be doing if you get a job as a GPE. The company has an engine, you hook up all the parts.

Oh. Well how much programming experience do you have? What languages have you programmed with and for how long with each?

I programming about 4 years, but without real experience(I created some MVP, some app for my own using, but never finish them :( ) I know Pascal(I start with them), C#(my programming experience start with this language), Lua, C++(begin learning).

Gameplay programmer, gameplay engineer, or similar title is one of the most common type of programmer in games. The role is not to build an engine or build tools or technology; they start with an enormous list of objects and then make all the things. Anything that can be interacted with, anything that can be used in any way or anything that does something, that is something they program.

While it helps to know things like the rendering pipeline, it is not necessary for most daily work. If your goal at the moment is to make a game, by all means start with an existing major engine. That is exactly what you'll be doing if you get a job as a GPE. The company has an engine, you hook up all the parts.

Thank you for advice.

Well first. I would just be making games. Especially if you've never made a game before. After you have 10 or so complete games under your belt, then you could concentrate on gameplay code and mechanics. The framework doesn't matter. Especially at this stage since you're a beginner. Being able to actually create and complete a game is far more important.

I know it's off topic, but anybody know someone who have experience in real gamedev? I just want to know what kind of game development profession could be and what they do?

Well first. I would just be making games. Especially if you've never made a game before. After you have 10 or so complete games under your belt, then you could concentrate on gameplay code and mechanics. The framework doesn't matter. Especially at this stage since you're a beginner. Being able to actually create and complete a game is far more important.

Thank you! Last couple of days I though what kind of framework or engine I should choose. Must it be C++ framework because it's real gamedev language, ir for simplicity I prefer to choose Monogame) Thank you! I have last question, should I begin create game for mobile phones(it's target platform that I want to create games), or it doesn't matter right now?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement