• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fakemind

OpenGL wider audience with openGL?

This topic is 6087 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i could be mistaken, but it seems to me that it would be easier to port my game if i wrote it using openGL to other platforms (win, linux, mac) than if i use directX. if so, then is it trivial to get into fullsceen 800x600x256 using OpenGL. or am i ignorant to what openGL is exactly? also, the directX components for network gameplay and soundplaying seemed quite useful and i dont want to choose openGL for portability (if it is indeed more portable..) but not as portable for multiplayer or sound programming. whats your thoughts/opinions? - jeremiah http://fakemind.com

Advertisement
Just keep in mind that the sales all linux games combined have not equaled the sales of one windows title (Carmack slashdot posting). I don''t know if that matters, but I thought I''d throw it out there...

OpenGL won''t make you a window, but glut will. Or you can make one with win32 code.

And there''s no reason you can''t utilize parts of directX, but use openGL for graphics. Then there''s less to port later on.

Or you can play sounds with openAL and have portable sound.

Program your networking in winsock, and you''ll have an easy time porting your network code, since winsock calls map to other OS networking class pretty easily.

And it is true that linux/Macintosh game sales are somewhat low, but it''s never bad to get into the habit of writing portable code, particularly when it isn''t much extra effort. After all, you might find yourself wanting to run a game server on linux or some other UNIX in the future. Writing portable code now will let you re-use some then.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!