choosing openGL over directX?

Started by
27 comments, last by fakemind 22 years, 5 months ago
Hsng on ... why are you so vacal about slagging off OpenGL ... unless you''re viewpoint is shit?
Advertisement
i actually looked into SDL and its really quite interesting. the only thing that is i couldnt really find much source that wasnt for linux. ( and i couldnt find a quick way to extract rar/tar/gz files ... ). there really wasnt that much documentation, or examples rather, that gave clear enough examples to make me feel comfortable using it.

if i could find some good tutorial or some examples for windows. ie. setting up 800x600x256 video mode, playing sound effects that overlap, and network support. thats what is really leaning me towards directX for windows because theres tons of examples right when you download it that shows how to do most of this. for SDL i would need SDL, then SDL_Mixer for sound, then something else for network multiplayer support, when directX is all together.

anyway, i feel like im babbling now.

- jeremiah
http://fakemind.com
- jeremiah http://fakemind.com
quote:Original post by fakemind
i actually looked into SDL and its really quite interesting. the only thing that is i couldnt really find much source that wasnt for linux.

Do you mean sourcecode for using SDL outside of Linux? If yes, ALL SDL source code works outside of Linux; that''s the point of using SDL, to have portable code. If no and you were refering to the SDL source code, you don''t look very hard. Try this, and look under Win32 for DLL''s and libraries. The source code at the top of that page has the SDL source code for every platform it officially supports.

... and i couldnt find a quick way to extract rar/tar/gz files ...

Tarballs (tar.gz and .tgz) are the most common distribution format for source code (et cetera) in the unix world. WinZip can open them if you want to use it (or you can always download the official gzip and gunzip programs, but they''re command line which you don''t sound like you''d like).

if i could find some good tutorial or some examples for windows. ie. setting up 800x600x256 video mode, playing sound effects that overlap, and network support.

Try this. Lots of examples there. SDL really is easy to use, I figured it out with minimal examples (less than what that one page has now ).

thats what is really leaning me towards directX for windows because theres tons of examples right when you download it that shows how to do most of this. for SDL i would need SDL, then SDL_Mixer for sound, then something else for network multiplayer support, when directX is all together.

Are you complaining that SDL isn''t bloated ? Most programs that use SDL won''t use all of SDL, so why add more than they need? All of the SDL parts follow basically the same structure, so they aren''t hard to combine.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Well, thats the beauty of SDL, same code compiles on many platforms, however I still stick with DX on Windows and SDL for Linux, writting portable code there isnt much to port anyways, a byte is a byte in any OS, and an integer is an integer as long as you are on the same Processor architecture (or same endian arch anyway)

I have been thinkering with OpenGL, and I like it better than D3D, in any case, I think is always good to have all your bases covered and learn at least a little from all of them.
I said DX would possibly required if u seek a career in gameprogramming, other than that I don''t think DX will get you a job anywhere, OpenGL maybe would though.

I just started to look a little at SDL/OpenGL myself, I''ve always done 2D in DX before and man, rarely does one come across a library that is so well written.

I just have to find out its drawbacks before I finally decide to go OpenGL instead of D3D.So if any of you know of any plz let me know, but no empty arguments like most games are made in DX, that''s totally pointless.

C++, C++, C++
Fakemind,

I''d recomend you ignore all that post the negative about an API. Obviouly they have a limited mind if they go to the extent of saying an API is shit/crap.

On a different topic, I''ve programmed in OpenGL and DirectX, and I personally find DirectX cleaner ( dx is messy? heh ) than OpenGL.

Also, all you little children need to stop bitching and moaning over DirectX.

Iengu: Now try both and see what you prefer.
Also remember that using DirectX is supporting M$ illegal behavior

Little children need to grow up like yourself, Iengu. I''m sure you''re perfect and never did anything illegal in your life to warrent such a comment like that.
"Iengu: Now try both and see what you prefer.
Also remember that using DirectX is supporting M$ illegal behavior

Little children need to grow up like yourself, Iengu. I''m sure you''re perfect and never did anything illegal in your life to warrent such a comment like that. "

I don''t like to be attacked personnaly by an ''anonymous''.

You could at least spell my nickname correctly, I suppose you don''t know latin at all cause if you did you wouldn''t have spelled it incorrectly.

I don''t need to grow up much, I already see the world as it is, and not as people would like me to see it.
"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts." Albert Einstein.

I''ve never broken any firm, abused my power or anything like what microsoft did, and even if it was the case this is no excuse.

You just don''t seems to know that WE are making the world as it is or will be.

Discussion closed.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
quote:Original post by Ingenu
You could at least spell my nickname correctly, I suppose you don't know latin at all cause if you did you wouldn't have spelled it incorrectly.

I don't need to grow up much, I already see the world as it is, and not as people would like me to see it.

You just don't seems to know that WE are making the world as it is or will be.

Wow, going nuts over this topic is silly. What does knowing Latin and misspelling your user name have anything to do with the topic at hand? Also, no one actually sees the world as it is. We all have a biased way things are and should be.

Don't think it would be right for me to say 'guess you don't know how to spell "i.e. seems' -- perhaps AP is a child him/herself? Or just made a common spelling mistake.

Cheers

Edit: Removed unreferenced lines from the quote.

Edited by - David_Kay on November 16, 2001 3:01:07 PM
Huh... oh I see..
quote:Original post by David_Kay
perhaps AP is a child him/herself?
Surely you know the age and gender of the AP. We do track IP addresses around here.

I think this can be closed now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement