choosing openGL over directX?

Started by
27 comments, last by fakemind 22 years, 5 months ago
im trying to start programming my own computer game. (hold your appluase) ;-) i was thinking of choosing directX, but now im trying to see if openGL would be a better choice for me. i would love to have people with mac, linux, and windoze to be able to play my game, and it seems like openGL gives me a wider audience than directX. im doing all the graphics functions myself, so all id really need it to do is get me into 800x600x256 fullscreen mode. some things that still influence me to choose directX is their soundplaying and multiplayer functions. whats your thoughts/opinions?
- jeremiah http://fakemind.com
Advertisement
I think you shouldn''t have crossposted this on the DirectX and the OpenGL forums. Is this a troll?
i "crossposted" because i wanted to ask people on both forums their opinions. the main reason for this is i felt there would probably be some bias towards one or the other depending on the forum, and i wanted to ask both sides.

i apologize if "crossposting" is considered wrong on gamedev.net, i only want to hear both sides. :-)

- jeremiah
http://fakemind.com
- jeremiah http://fakemind.com
OpenGL : Open Graphic Library.
As its name says : nothing but graphics.

DirectX : Direct X=anything.
Does Music Sounds... and graphics.

If you choose OpenGL + SDL (www.opengl.org, www.libsdl.org) you''ll have cross platform API which does almost anything DirectX does.

Now try both and see what you prefer.
Also remember that using DirectX is supporting M$ illegal behavior.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
personally the main reason 4 choosing opengl is. 90percent of tutorials/examples on the net use it, this will make learning 3d graphics a lot easier (+ believe me u need as much help as u can get).
btw opengl can be used with all parts of directX except directgraphics thus in this respect it doesnt differ from direct. BUT then again if u say u want crossplatform stuff directx is out.
In my opinion the main reason to choose opengl is its intrinsic simplicity.
Honestly I do not think that multi_platform is an inportant issue.
Although I am on opengl side, we must not forget a serious drawback vs direct x.
It is not the lack of support for input and sound\music but rather the lack of a 3D animated file format and relevant utility
DirectX

It''s much better in my opinion. Like they''ve said, you can do sound and inpu with it too. Besides, a huge majority of gamers use PCs anyway. It''s a big bonus to be able to use DirectInput instead of windows for input. Microsoft isn''t that bad anyway.

Have you read Windows Game Programming for Dummies?

Newbie to game programming?
visit

KaBooMgames
Great for Newbs, Masters welcome as well
------------------------------------KaBeeM Web
<><
I would choose DX if i were u. OGL is too basic and yet it is too complicated. I tried to develop a 3d engine in it and I had a lot of trouble due to spacial problems. There is a little bit too simplistic. Also, it seems like all on-the-market games use directx.

The code for opengl is a lot different compared to directx code. I usually code with a lot of comments and in a nice order but when I programmed with directx, I had a lot of trouble due to the fact that sometimes functions would need functions declared earlier than others. If you decide to use dinput if you choose ogl, it makes stuff comfusing because open gl does setup and everything a lot different than directx

The reason there are more ogl tutorials on the net is because opengl is easier, making it easier to make tutorials. Right, directx does not have as many, or not as i have seen, tutorials but the tutorials they do have are good. You don''t see that many of the same tutorials as you do in opengl, at least what i have seen. Go look in the articles section and then the directx section. See how different the tutorials are?

OpenGl was not made by microsoft and yet everything else on your computer is...hmmm...You can choose opengl if you want but i am gonna stay with directx because its more "to the point" and "relistic" and a few other reasons. If you choose directx, buy tricks of the windows game programming gurus. Its a really good starter book. i liked the zen of d3d game programming even though it didn''t have the best code.

I just thought of something else wrong with opengl, there are hardly any books out there, only tutorials. Go on amazon and search around for game programming books. I gaurentee that you will find over double at least dx books than ogl books.
2nd paragraph should say:

I usually code with a lot of comments and in a nice order when I programm with directx,but when i switched to opengl. I had a lot of trouble due to the fact that sometimes functions would need functions declared earlier than others. If you decide to use dinput if you choose ogl, it makes stuff comfusing because open gl does setup and everything a lot different than directx.

2nd paragraph should say:

I usually code with a lot of comments and in a nice order when I programm with directx,but when i switched to opengl. I had a lot of trouble due to the fact that sometimes functions would need functions declared earlier than others. If you decide to use dinput if you choose ogl, it makes stuff comfusing because open gl does setup and everything a lot different than directx.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement