• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brettbauer1

Game Development Ideas

This topic is 1051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would it be helpful if there was a way to identify potentially HOT new games (or other apps) before they become obvious to the rest of the world?

Would it help to be able to see them within the last day, three days, 1 week, and 30 days?

Would this help to come up with ideas for new projects.

Let me know your thoughts and we can see about making some data available to GameDev.net users.

Thanks.

Brett

[attachment=28870:Daily App Counts - Change in Count less than 6 months.png]

Advertisement

It certainly would.

Since this looks like an announcement and not an actual discussion on a non-topical subject, moving from the Lounge to Your Announcements.

If you have some actual discussion about such a thing, then great! That discussion (rather than announcement) belongs in whatever area of the site fits what you are discussing.  If you are discussing the business side of metrics perhaps as a Business and Law forum discussion.  If it is more a presentation about the getting or using metrics, perhaps a journal entry or an article submission.  

Brett, can you tell us about the graph you posted? Yik Yak is being compared to some other apps by counting what exactly? The Y axis label just says "% difference in count," but doesn't say what's being counted. I went to your website and I saw another graph called The Appfluencer - Uber vs Lyft, which is easier to see in terms of applicability. But I'd like to know more about the graph you posted.

And no, I don't think metrics "helps come up with ideas," but everybody knows the importance of metrics in games today for making design improvements and marketing and business decisions.

btw, frob was absolutely right to move this to Your Announcements from wherever it had been before. Your subject line "Game Development Ideas" is off the mark. Edited by Tom Sloper

It certainly would.

Since this looks like an announcement and not an actual discussion on a non-topical subject, moving from the Lounge to Your Announcements.

If you have some actual discussion about such a thing, then great! That discussion (rather than announcement) belongs in whatever area of the site fits what you are discussing.  If you are discussing the business side of metrics perhaps as a Business and Law forum discussion.  If it is more a presentation about the getting or using metrics, perhaps a journal entry or an article submission.  

Great to know.

I apologize for posting it in the wrong section.  I am careful to post, and not clear.  In the future if I have a question, I will ask for guidance.

See my response to the post from Tom Sloper, for a detailed explanation of the graph.

Brett

Brett, can you tell us about the graph you posted? Yik Yak is being compared to some other apps by counting what exactly? The Y axis label just says "% difference in count," but doesn't say what's being counted. I went to your website and I saw another graph called The Appfluencer - Uber vs Lyft, which is easier to see in terms of applicability. But I'd like to know more about the graph you posted.

And no, I don't think metrics "helps come up with ideas," but everybody knows the importance of metrics in games today for making design improvements and marketing and business decisions.

btw, frob was absolutely right to move this to Your Announcements from wherever it had been before. Your subject line "Game Development Ideas" is off the mark.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the questions.  I'll do my best to address all your questions here.  If you have other questions or require clarification, please let me know.

Background-

We developed technology that collects information about apps that are installed and uninstalled from a mobile device. We do not collect any personally identifiable information (PII). We have adapted the technology to an SDK for other developers to use and obtain a deeper understanding of their users.  We have been monitoring ifs use for over a year and have found no bugs or performance issues.

Graph –

Since we collect information regarding the apps from all devices with our technology, we wanted to see if we could identify the next, hot app like Clash of Clans or Flappy Bird.

One of the larger questions we wanted to answer at the same time was to identify Apps whose retained users were accelerating at a very high rate, Apps whose growth rate was stagnating and Apps where the user base was declining.

The graph measures the percentage change in app counts from the universe of iOS apps in our database from February 5 to July 19, 2015.

This specific graphic uses the beginning and ending values for each app and calculates the percentage rate.

Yik Yak-

We are comparing the percentage change from the universe of apps in our database.  We used the daily counts of all the apps from each device in the database for each day during the period.

The Y axis is the change in daily count measured as a percentage and the X axis is the time frame.

Summary - 

I was speaking with one of the developers who has integrated the SDK into a number of his apps and have been sharing data with him regarding his users to help him learn and to help us acquire a better job of understanding.

We are interested in identifying indie developers who want to know about the other games (and apps) that appear on their users devices.

We are willing to provide access to some of the insights we get as well as some of the data to the individuals who install the SDK.

We are happy to provide enlightenment to app developers.

On a very personal note, I have been learning to code as I would like to create a couple games.  I have been teaching myself what I need to know, but the more I know, the less I know.

Thanks.

Brett

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!