• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
denisve

Wang tiles generator

This topic is 1205 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, all.

Is there any ready tool to generate a set of wang tiles from a texture? I need a good algorithm for procedural terrain generation and I'm looking into wang tiles right now. Found lots of theoretical articles about it, but no algorithms implementation.

Thanks,

Denis.

Edited by denisve

Advertisement
Wang tiles are good in theory, somewhat hacky in execution, I've found. Especially in regards to procedurally generating them. Look at the method outlined by the creators of Path of Exile for creating their tiles. A goodly part of it requires iterating on the aesthetic blending/snipping of the texture based on features, something that is not easily proceduralized. Nevertheless, you could construct a method that at least roughly follows their procedure, and depending on source textures you could probably achieve some acceptable results.

I've seen the guide of PoE devs. Problem with it is that, as you said, it requires some designing aesthetic skills, which I don't happen to possess. I'm a programmer, not a designer. So I was hoping more for a algorithmic approach I can implement, instead of designer work I can't really do properly.

Also, the textures for PoE are supposed to be viewed from relatively close distance, whereas my terrain will be viewed from high distance, more like strategy games style.

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate tips for terrain texture generation. Anything that can be implemented from a small/medium sized texture procedurally with GLSL and as little visual repetition as possible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!