• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

FBX Import scaling

This topic is 966 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to use the Autodesk FBXSDK to do import of 3D objects in FBX format.

I have trouble applying the local scaling of mesh nodes in the scene tree during rendering.

When I create a cube in Blender and scale it down to say 0.35 of its size and export it as FBX 6.1 ASCII, I get a fbxNode->LclScaling value of 0.35 when I import it in my code using the SDK. However, if I export as FBX 7.4 binary format in Blender I get a LclScaling value on the mesh node that is 35.0.

Is there any unit scaling factor I need to take into consideration when importing the scaling in my code?

And in such case, where do I pick this out using the SDK?

It is not the m_scene->GetGlobalSettings().GetSystemUnit().GetScaleFactor() that is different between the exported formats because it is 1.0 in both cases.

Advertisement

New insight... The scaling is different on the two different formats. When opened in for example Unity or Visual Studio, the objects do have a scaling difference of 100.

I found an option for the Binary FBX exporter in Blender though that says "Apply Unit" that if it is unchecked sets the UnitScaleFactor in the FBX file, which makes the m_scene->GetGlobalSettings().GetSystemUnit().GetScaleFactor() report a value of 100.

This means that:

FbxSystemUnit::m.ConvertScene(m_scene);

or

FbxSystemUnit::cm.ConvertScene(m_scene)

can be run to have the nodes change their Local Scaling values.

Problem solved.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement