Soldier background in tactical squad game?

Started by
11 comments, last by ferrous 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi

Im doing a game with tactical turn-based combat (like xcom, jagged alliance etc). The setting is running a criminal militia in an unnamed african country torn by civil war.

You control a squad of up to 6 soldiers that you recruit and train. I want the soldiers background to affect the stats. This is my idea so far

Background

Former army (better weapon accuracy)

Former guerilla (better stamina/mobility)

Former mercenary (better toughness/hitpoints)

Any thoughts on this? Any more soldier backgrounds that could be fun to add? I know the info ive given on the game is limited but feel free to brainstorm:)
Thanks

Erik

Advertisement
I assume you mean military when you say former army. If so, go deeper with a potential weapon type focus or base some stats on military branch (army, navy, air force, marines, etc).

With army I mean the character has a background working in the national army (the army of the country in which the game takes place).

A guerilla fighter has a different kind of military background, and so does a person who has been a mercenary (kind of private contractor of sorts, like those in the recent Iraq war).

Preferably something more distinct than from different parts of the national armed forced. I think "army" is enough.

How about bodyguard/hitman background? Someone who worked for gangs/mafia. What could the bonus be? Im just brainstorming myself right now. I might not have stealth mechanics in the gameplay (otherwise suitable for a hitman (assassin) background probably).

Bodyguard might give bonuses to adjacent allies or be able to build buffs together through a developing (could be a stat) relationship. Fire Emblem has something like this but it is more just friendships and bonds.

Gangs/mafia might have the same following, either by being with their leader or bonuses in groups/surrounding enemies.

Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3/PC has something similar to this that might be worth taking a look at. Each unit had several characteristics that would trigger under certain circumstances. Things like Lone Wolf, where the unit would get better accuracy without friendlies nearby; City Kid, unit got a buff in urban portions of the map; Big Sister, got a buff if attacking with units of the same class, etc. These were balanced out with negative ones, like Neat Freak, where the unit got lowered accuracy in dirt/sand; Lazy, where the unit would just not perform the requested action; Child of Nature, where the unit got a debuff in urban environments.

They're not specific backstories, but they gave the units a personality, and helped diversify the chosen team depending on the map (instead of just picking the highest level units every map).

Split army into "Former soldier" (stamina, etc) and "Former officer" (intellect, leadership, boost to nearby troops), also you could add more officer types each with different bonus.

Mercenaries could be split into nations like: "Former capitalist american mercenary" (-10 morale if run of CocaCola supply), "Former soviet intelligence officer" (increased sight range).

BTW, I strongly advice to change "unnamed african country" to some amaginary name (like Africania or something).

BTW2, you might get better responses on the Writing subforum.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Good ideas for perks, i dont know if I will have that level of detail though, we´ll see.

Im more looking for broad backgrounds at the moment. But maybe i covered most when i pick army, mercenary, guerilla? Who else could join a militia looking for fame/fortune/employment in such a setting? Some kind of criminal background probably could be one "class". What else?

Ps

Yeah the country will not be unnamed in the game, its just that the name is not related to this thread:)

I will not use an actual country, since i want to be flexible with placement of towns etc.

Maybe like a ex-cop? Or whatever this country's version of SWAT is? Could be better suited for crowd control, or siege-like situations.

Do they need to have a fighting background. What about civilians joining the militia, so engineer or athlete, etc.?

Non-soldiers are handled in another matter, this is just for the tactical/soldier element of the game.

Yeah SWAT/police kinda thing might work. That is an untapped background pool.

Good input, guys! Keep 'em coming if you stumble into more ideas:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement