Help needed programing a shoot'em up

Started by
6 comments, last by jjsantiago 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m programming a shoot''em up like Quake using DirectX, I''d like to get a patron or a simple code in order to start it as well as I can. Thanks Juanjo
Advertisement
there are tons of posts on this message board about FPSs (First Person Shooters) like quake... and tons of posts about DirectX too (and also tutorials).
what exactly do you mean by "patron"?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Of course you can get the source code for quake itself too, although its kind of dated:

http://www.idsoftware.com/archives/sourcearc.html
quote:Original post by krez
there are tons of posts on this message board about FPSs (First Person Shooters) like quake... and tons of posts about DirectX too (and also tutorials).
what exactly do you mean by "patron"?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I mean that I''m starting the program and I want to organize the estructure of the program in classes, using VisualC.
Can you recommend me some DirectX tutorials? I''m starting at DirectX, and also in game programming.
Thanks again

Juanjo
You can''t start in all those things at once; take it step-by-step. Learn Win32 and DirectX programming first. Next learn the principles of 3D graphics and look at the two major 3D APIs, OpenGL and DirectX Graphics.

Good luck.
Umm, well if I understood your posts correctly santiago, you have never programmed Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in C++ and want to code a first person shooter? ... like Quake?!?!

First off if you don''t know C++ that well (that includes all the advanced things like templates, virtuals, pointers, STL, etc.) I would seriously reccomend getting a book. I probably have about 5 books on just C/C++, and one of them dealing specifically with OOP. A book is generally a lot more worth the money than any tutorial on the Internet.

After you have a vast knowledge of C++ and the OOP paradigm I would suggest learning how to program a simple game like pong, tetris, breakout, nibbles, pacman (a good one for learning basic AI), etc.

Personally, I started out with OpenGL, but both API''s will get the job done so Direct3D is fine (also, don''t screw up the definitions of DirectX and Direct3D when comparing them to OpenGL; BIG mistake).

Now, you said a First Person Shooter like Quake right? Well, it is a fact that Quake was made by a team of professionals.

You probably wouldn''t want to make a game like Quake by yourself; there is just so much to do. Those types of games have several people, not just coders, working for them (i.e. 2D artists, 3D artists, producers, game designers, managers, the physics expert guy, etc.)

In other words, don''t take to big of a step or you''ll split your pants . Start your way off small and incrementally (++skill improve your skill until you are ready to help in the coding of a game far greater than Quake (if(skill == I_GOT_MAD_SKILLZ){makeTheNextQuake();}). That''s what I would suggest doing.

You asked for some links so here they are:
NeXe
Good place to answer lots of your questions
Type DirectX in this search engine
This is most definitely the one you want highest on your list
Uh-oh, didn't sign in on that last post, that was by me Floppy.

Well, since I can't edit it, here are the edits:

That link at the bottom that isn't highlighted should be Good place to answer lots of your questions

That one image after split your pants should be .

That smile after ++skill shouldn't be there it oughta be a ;
++skill;

EDIT: That google link doesn't work, stupid HTML code, hehe, here it is. Click here and type DirectX into the Google search engine

Edited by - Floppy on November 14, 2001 6:35:51 PM
Uh-oh, didn't sign in on that last post, that was by me Floppy.

Well, since I can't edit it, here are the edits:

That link at the bottom that isn't highlighted should be Good place to answer lots of your questions

That one image after split your pants should be .

That smile after ++skill shouldn't be there it oughta be a ;
++skill;

EDIT: Sorry about double posting, accidentally hit the button twice...sorry.

Edited by - Floppy on November 14, 2001 6:33:31 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement