Recreating some NES limitations

Started by
11 comments, last by Wyrframe 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh, drat. Sorry, yes; I forgot there is a universal "background" palette entry, shared by all tiles, and generally output "outside" of the rasterized portion of the screen.

If the background layer is always behind the sprite layer, then how do you get this: (
" title="External link">VIDEO) Or the mist in the Faxanadu video linked above? Or the drills that carve through the floor and ceiling in Mega Man 2? If that isn't drawing the background in front of the sprites, then how are they achieving those visuals?

As I understand it, they're placing sprites containing those background tiles overtop of the sprites which they want to look like are behind the tilemap. So, back to front, tilemap -> mobile sprite -> background impostor sprite.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Advertisement

As I understand it, they're placing sprites containing those background tiles overtop of the sprites which they want to look like are behind the tilemap. So, back to front, tilemap -> mobile sprite -> background impostor sprite.

Oh wait, I found something. It's not doing that; it actually can draw sprites beneath the background layer. Here's the page I found: (link)

There is a bit in the sprite order that delegates the sprite to either in front of or behind the background.

I don't know why I didn't think of the blocks in Mario as a better example.

Read my webcomic: http://maytiacomic.com/
Follow my progress at: https://eightballgaming.com/

... huh. Completely didn't know that one. Cool.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement