Flavors of Basic?

Started by
17 comments, last by wrenhal 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m wondering what flavors of basic are around for use or Demo use. I know about DarkBasic. Does anyone know where someone could get QuickBasic 4.5 for free?? What about others?? My son is 10 and already getting interested in programming, but I''d prefer to start him out with a Basic language for structure and then work into C and then into an Object language. We homeschool so this is essentially his teacher speaking . Anyway, all help would be appreciated. Thanks, BeS It''s Da BOMB Baby!!! . o O ~ A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men ~ O o . -- Willy Wonka
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Advertisement
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I thought I'd write a response anyway. I want to tell you good luck with your homeschooling experience. I was homeschooled and picked up my interest in programming from another homeschooler. I took what I learned and am currently in college majoring in computer science. Good luck!!

Edited by - chillah on November 14, 2001 3:35:27 PM
"I'm never alone, I'm alone all the time" - Glycerine-Bush"It starts with one thing" In The End-Linkin Park
Don''t learn him on basic first. Basic''s just a breeding ground for bad programming habits. You can always tell someone who learned on basic, even when they''re programming in C. There''s no shaking the basic ''accent.''

C is just as good for a procedureal/structured programming language. And if you really want a language specifically designed for students, I''d recommend pascal over basic any day of the week.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Don't learn him on basic first. Basic's just a breeding ground for bad programming habits. You can always tell someone who learned on basic, even when they're programming in C. There's no shaking the basic 'accent.'

C is just as good for a procedureal/structured programming language. And if you really want a language specifically designed for students, I'd recommend pascal over basic any day of the week.

Any free versions of pascal available?? Any good books you know about??

:EDIT:
If you haven't figured out, I want to start out free.

B e S
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Edited by - wrenhal on November 14, 2001 3:49:41 PM
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Check out http://www.freepascal.org/

I understand that ''learn pascal in 3 days'' is a good intro book. And Amazon is selling it for $21, I see.
go to www.blitzbasic.com . Much better than darkbasic. Blitz 2d has a free unlimited demo which should be perfect for the kid, and it also has a little bit of oop commands for learning a little later down the road.

I suggest trying it out a little while, and if you like it, the full blitz 2d version is only about 20-30 bucks. You could essentially keep the demo forever...but it''s always polite to register something you are gonna use a long time.
Basic IS the way to learn to program. It''s far easier to learn
if a = b then
rather than
if (a := b) or something like that
you "can''t" get qbasic 4.5 for free. Though if you were to "accidentally" hit a few buttons and punch it into a search engine, a few downloads would pop up.

PaladinGLT
PaladinGLT
http://www.bloodshed.net

Dev Pascal - Simple IDE based on Free Pascal

Dev C++ - Simple IDE based on mingw
For a free pascal compiler, you can''t go wrong with Borland''s Delphi 6 Personal(it is FREE!!!). Head over to Borland and download it.

If you have a Win98 CD, QBasic comes with it. Just search the CD. If i remember correctly, its in a folder called \Tools.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You can always tell someone who learned on basic, even when they''re programming in C. There''s no shaking the basic ''accent.''

Not true, though you could argue that I was a bad BASIC programmer...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement