How to go about a lobby based game.

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm making a multiplayer lobby based fighter game. I want there to be accounts and weapons bound to accounts.

how should I go about this?

Skills:

I can use Unity.

I know Ruby, Javascript, Python, C++ and Java

Advertisement

Hi, not much of a professional when it comes to this topic, but if I understand your goals correctly you are going to need a back-end / server-infrastructure.

For creating a client-server or a peer-to-peer game nothing "extra" is required, you can simply use the built-in networking api in Unity (as I know the new one is called Unet, but there is a legacy one if you use an older version). This will allow you creating a game where multiple players can play together over network.

For storing accounts, their data (like weapons/items bound to accounts), authenticating users and for registering dedicated servers or players hosting games, you are going to need a server machine and a back-end service/software. This is a whole different animal type than both the client application or the game server code/application, and I guess a lot of work if you don't really know what you are doing :(.

I would most probably go for the first goal at the beginning, and stack up knowledge about the second as I go, or find someone who is capable and can develop the second part, but if you insist on going forward, you should look into following technologies:

Database tech, SQL comes to mind (free SQL server: MySQL)
Back-end and server tech, maybe in your case this could be done using a web-server with a language like php (Ruby and Python is a common choice too), or you could develop a dedicated server application accessing your database using Java or C++.
You are going to need hosting too for your back-end, a virtual machine or a dedicated server machine or some kind of cloud solution.

Again, not proficient in this area, but as the general steps, something like this is correct...

Blog | Overburdened | KREEP | Memorynth | @blindmessiah777 Magic Item Tech+30% Enhanced GameDev

For the lobby, you will need some kind of stable online server, with a name, that can be found.
The rest sounds like you can build it in top of the Unity networing API. You'd also need to use a database plugin of some sort for the Unity-based server, or use the WWW class to use a web-based database interface.
Can't really give more details without more specifics about what you have tried, what works, what doesn't, etc.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Thankyou everybody.. I understand :)

Btw: If you like writing Python code, a good way to get started on web services in Python is Flask: http://www.fullstackpython.com/flask.html
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement