[WIP] DARKSHIT 2040 - Laser Hell Anti-Shmup

Started by
12 comments, last by BrianAmadori 8 years, 5 months ago

l41lWRENZPWLWPYEU.gif

HEALTH BAR

I added this health bar. It depletes with time and you charge it eating the sandwiches.

xTiTnd30BxbtLWTJqU.gif

This is supposed to give urgency to the game, so you don’t just stall avoiding stuff but are also desperate trying to not die of hunger.

FETUS ATTACHED TO SINGLE PLAYER

3o85xJMqPNQTuyJd8A.gif

Now, in SOLO mode, you have a fetus attached to you.

I made this change because i thought the solo mode was not being faithful to the “being strapped to another thing” theme of the game. And also it helps to adding back the inner conflict i found to be lacking in this mode.

YOU HAVE TO OPEN MOUTH TO EAT

All the game sprites are placeholder, so i added a ugly text feedback to show it.

You have to open it and then close it when over the sandwich.

3o85xBJGH5t0K98WoU.gif

I had a problem with CO-OP mode. It was too easy for me to control both characters myself. The game has to have enough complexity to make this too difficult to be fun, so… I added this.

Also, if you close your mouth and go to a direction, you will dash too, so opening mouth and then closing + dashing to eat is a viable technique. (more inner conflict)

Well, that’s is for now. I’m going to post the wormhole transition stuff later so this update doesn’t get too big. Hope you enjoyed reading it.

for the record, remember i opened a twitter handle @darkshit2040, if the project is interesting to you follow it for announcements, etc!.

Cheers! ph34r.png

Advertisement

3oEduJA7y0p4U8wyPu.gif

TRANSITION WORMHOLE
TRANSITION WORMHOLE
TRANSITION WORMHOLE

l41lVJHmux0ro02qc.gif

I never learn that effects like this are the ones that are made very late in development... But WHATEVER, couldn’t help myself.

How i made it:

• The wormhole is rendered to a RenderTarget.
  • I’m using 3 cameras. One renders the wormhole to a RenderTarget, the second one is pointing to a quad that shows the RenderTarget over the scene with a depth of 1 to be over everything. The third one is a dummy that renders nothing, and has all the postprocessing effects attached.
  • There are animated material changes and stuff like activating the particle systems, etc. That are controlled via an animator.
  • Made a custom shader with a transparent masking texture, that renders in polar coordinates UVs. Then used it to mask the quad containing the RenderTarget over the current scene. Polar coordinates are the ones that use angle, distance instead x, y. This is awesome for circle related effects!
  • The particles are... duh... particles. But i use like three different particle systems, one for the burst at the start and two more for 2 speed sets of velocity with different radius.
  • I load the new scene asynchronously only when you are inside the wormhole, and apply a small glitch effect to deal with loading stutter if there’s any, so the game appears to be glitched when loading. (I’m using one from Colorful shaders pack i bought from the asset store, but maybe I’ll make my own later)
  • I don’t use additive scene loading, i just apply DontDestroyOnLoad() to the transition prefab. The transition is encapsulated in that prefab, so i can use it between any scenes.
  • I want to improve the colors, and add more details like nebulae/stars/planets going fast.

Well that’s all for now...! I’m going to add more gameplay stuff and play with some HDR effects later on. (yep, I never learn).

Cheers!

Needs Fries and Soda -- everyone knows - thats where the profit is...

Faster moving targets which are harder to reach/elusive or as opportunity (to add split second decisions to game)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

Needs Fries and Soda -- everyone knows - thats where the profit is...

Faster moving targets which are harder to reach/elusive or as opportunity (to add split second decisions to game)

You mean like powerups or special things you have to grab quickly? I'd have to figure out how to make them appear without colliding with the beam emitters, but the "add split decisions to the game" is definitely an interesting thing to consider.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement