Sign in to follow this  

Need to be taught to make a 3D MMORPG

This topic is 832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello me and my friend are up and coming Indie Game Devs! We need someone or a course of some kind to teach us to make an 3D MMORPG we have been planning. We need to be taught to use programs like unity and modeling programs like 3DS Max and to implement models into the game.. We also need to be taught to a programming language such as C# or C++. So all in all we need to be taught to make a 3D mmorpg. The reason I think just me and my friend can make (with possibly some others but is not likely) is because there will be no quests, dungeons, and but will have a complex leveling/combat system and a complex weapon making system. Also will have low-poly graphics. So that being said spare me the criticism saying that 2 people can't make a 3D mmorpg alone and just tell me a way to learn how to make an mmorpg (besides an online college), I would like it to be free or sort of cheap. Thanks.

So that being said spare me the criticism saying that 2 people can't make a 3D mmorpg alone and just tell me a way to learn how to make an mmorpg

IF YOU WERE CAPABLE OF MAKING AN MMORPG, YOU WOULD KNOW HOW TO DO IT. YOU ARE NOT READY. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

"I'm going to make drugs, so don't tell me how it could go all wrong and end up killing me. Just tell me how to make drugs"

You're going to either need to somehow gain 20 years of experience, or start gaining experience for the next 20 years. At that point, if you and your friend still want to do it, you'll have to spend perhaps 20-30 years making your game up to a stage where the outside world can play it. It won't be finished, but it'll be released. Oh, and did I mention you'll need millions upon millions if you're going to hire some other developers (Which will reduce the time)? Or you'll need several hundred thousand, perhaps a million or so, to pay for servers.

If you're going to make some excuse of how you are your friend are different, spare us it. We've seen cases like this MANY times.

As Lactose said, nobody is going to hold your hand through making an MMORPG. You'll have to struggle and do it on your own. The reason there are no tutorials for how to make MMORPGS is people capable of making them KNOW HOW.

And Unity might not be a good engine. You need to code your own, or find/purchase a license for an existing one (Several tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands.)

Edited by Ovicior

Ok well what about http://www.digitaltutors.com/? Their courses seem pretty legit and they teach modeling, unity, and how to use C# in unity. Even if they don't teach C# I can learn it on my own. Also the hardest part to learn is most likely the 3D implementation. Take a look at CubeWorld by Wollay (www.picroma.com). They created a game like that with only 2 people! My game won't even have quests or dungeons or anything like that. It will just have pvp and the most complex thing about it will be the leveling system.

Edited by Green_Fox

I wasn't saying cubeworld was an mmo but I was just trying to say that 2 people made a 3D rpg that is fairly multiplayer. But I guess your right though an mmo isnt the way to start. I guess ill start making small games but this leads up to my first question. Where can I learn to make simple games and work my way up?

I wasn't saying cubeworld was an mmo but I was just trying to say that 2 people made a 3D rpg that is fairly multiplayer. But I guess your right though an mmo isnt the way to start. I guess ill start making small games but this leads up to my first question. Where can I learn to make simple games and work my way up?

Why here of course!

Why here of course!

Um well I need somewhere that has a step by step course. Like I said im very new to this.

Edited by Green_Fox

Um well I need somewhere that has a step by step course. Like I said im very new to this.

Step by Step guides to how to program a specific game are generally not that great as they tend to be inflexible. Sure you might be able to follow it and make game A, but if your goal is to make game B, you're going to have some difficulties.  Programming is all about problem solving, and if you want to create something new, you need to learn how to figure things out for yourself rather than following a step by step guide.

That being said, tutorials on how to program in general can be very useful.  Once you've done some of those, try making a basic game without any assistance.  You'll no doubt muck it up the first time, but it will teach you valuable lessons that will help you in the future.

I'm sure there are people here that can recommend some programming tutorials for you (I can't help you there sorry, as they didn't exist when I learnt how to program so I've never used any myself).

Step by Step guides to how to program a specific game are generally not that great as they tend to be inflexible. Sure you might be able to follow it and make game A, but if your goal is to make game B, you're going to have some difficulties.  Programming is all about problem solving, and if you want to create something new, you need to learn how to figure things out for yourself rather than following a step by step guide.

That being said, tutorials on how to program in general can be very useful.  Once you've done some of those, try making a basic game without any assistance.  You'll no doubt muck it up the first time, but it will teach you valuable lessons that will help you in the future.

I'm sure there are people here that can recommend some programming tutorials for you (I can't help you there sorry, as they didn't exist when I learnt how to program so I've never used any myself).

This is what Ive never understood. Every single person I ask how they learned to program such as minecraft modders they tell me that they "taught themselves". How the heck do you just teach programming to yourself. If programming and coding is really as complicated as all of you said it was then how does one learn just by watching a youtube tutorial and then work your self up to making an MMORPG. Do I not need a course for basic programming? Or can I just learn to make simple games then work my self up with youtube tutorials?

Over on www.udemy.com they have classes on c#, unity and 3d modeling.  Multiple times a year they have a sale for $10 a course, you just missed one.  As far as the mmorpg part goes I don't know of any resources for unity, but then again I don't really know much about unity.  My suggestion in that regard is that you make an account on the unity website and look/ask around about mmorpg's in unity.  Modern MMORPG's are pretty complicated since they usually involve resource streaming so I don't even know if unity has that built in.  Unreal on the other hand includes C++ source (IIRC)(which can be modified to support resource streaming if not builtin) and C++ is used in performance oriented network code.  Udemy has courses on unreal4 as well.  I have no experience with there courses so I can't really help you with that or offer you critique, but they can be cheap when caught on sale.  No matter what though you have a long road ahead of you, especially since you seem to be starting from scratch.

This is what Ive never understood. Every single person I ask how they learned to program such as minecraft modders they tell me that they "taught themselves". How the heck do you just teach programming to yourself. If programming and coding is really as complicated as all of you said it was then how does one learn just by watching a youtube tutorial and then work your self up to making an MMORPG. Do I not need a course for basic programming? Or can I just learn to make simple games then work my self up with youtube tutorials?

I believe that one of the most helpful things you can do as someone just starting out is to focus on the programming fundamentals. You want a course that teaches you how to make a full game... but that is like asking for a course on how to create a skyscrapper when you don't know how to use a hammer.

There are courses out there:

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1609-Introduction-to-Unreal-Engine-4

https://www.udemy.com/game-development-fundamentals-with-python/

https://www.udemy.com/construct2-the-complete-game-creation-course/

If you wanted to start from the "ground up" there are some very good (and basic) programming courses. The ones I am going to list were designed for "kids", but I find these are an engaging way to learn and you will hopefully learn something:

https://code.org/

https://www.codecademy.com/

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

Those are some resources to get started understanding the basics of programming. The programming core concepts translate across languages and learning to write programs first will help you wrap your mind around the more advanced concepts.

I started programming in QBasic before the internet. The number of resources and tools around today is staggering and there are so many different paths to get started. I think the key is to just "pick something (read ANYTHING)" and try to make "something". Don't worry about picking the "right" thing. Don't worry if what you make sucks. Just create... program and program and then program some more. Keep programming until you have programmed a LOT and then program even more than that. I have been programming for over 15 years and I learn new things every day.

Once you know the programming basics (variables, flow control, loops, arrays, dictionaries, file I/O, ect) then you can start using "some tool" (there are many out there) to create 2D games. These 2D games will teach you the basics of game development and how a games many systems are constructed (graphics, sounds, user input, AI, physics...)...

Once you have some 2D games under your belt then you are ready to tackle the complications that 3D adds (such as more 3D math, 3d models, shaders, ect).

Edited by shadowisadog

I taught myself, starting when I was 8. I read books. My first programs were not games, but simple text... things... Games came much later and were crude to say the least. I had learned how to write and structure code long before I even tried to make my first game and even then it looked like it was made by a child.

It can be done, but you are starting at what is the most difficult area of programming outside of OS design with no underlying knowledge of programming principles and concepts. Write a "Hello World!" program and go from there. For the time being, give up on making games. At some point down the road all that you learn will "click" and you'll get a game idea within your abilities.

Guys... I'm gonna be frank with you... but even if there is a course to teach you how to do this, the resources it will require will be freaking ridiculous.

Not only that but the low level code for the server... yeah good luck.

However, I'm not going to put you in the dirt completely. I don't know much about your experience, and... from what I can gather... you guys -seem- like you have experience. These are not tutorials or lessons. These are resources.

Look up a project called OpenSim. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
This is a project that was based off of Liden Lab's second life. It's world is stupidly massive and allows content creation while inside the game by players and devs. However, you can easily modify it if you know how to read it's code.

http://www.planeshift.it/

This is an opensource MMO project. I doubt it has tools availible to you, but you can make them yourself. And don't feel too discouraged... most of the world building process is putting down meshes to give details.

And then there are these bits.

PS: There is a tutorial. The problem is that there is no Tutorial to make the server code fast enough to run a massive world. Usually server processor architectures like Xeon and Opteron.

https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/mmo-development-class

From my understanding... A "Server" is not just one computer. A "Game Server" is a giant cluster of smaller computers that runs the server software. These servers have to run all the tasks that updates the game state. Subtract visuals and sound of course.

Sooo... what you got is a 12 core processor or larger, running calculations within a cell. A cell being a grid of tiles for worlds that aren't overly populated by AI (Ark Age, and Planet Side 2)

Or by levels where you have an airlock. During that airlock, the player's data is quickly transferred to the next server that handles that Level. (GW2 hints at this with overflow servers. Keep in mind that GW2 has a lot of AI processes and scripts running in the background. The number of players per server has to be significantly reduced to fit this.) This is why it's almost impossible to run a minecraft server featuring 10,000 players.

Edited by Tangletail

I must agree with this. Programming is nothing like 3D modeling. I couldn't just go to Google and type "How to mirror model in Blender" and figure it out after 10 minutes. In programming, I think you need people to teach you to some extent. Gamedev chat can be really useful for some quick questions.

And you can't use Unity as an engine. You need to code your own, or find/purchase a license for an existing one (Several tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands.)

[citation needed]

Unity may or may not be an ideal choice, but you shouldn't just rule it out as an option -- it's a perfectly valid choice.

my mistake. ill fix it.

Hey do you guys think that with some training me and my friend could make an ORPG (Online Role Playing Game) with up to 100 people on at once?

It's done with minecraft, which was mostly made by one guy in college. So yes.

Ok so basically me and my friend could make a 3D ORPG with training from sites like digitaltutors.com and udemy.com even though we have barely any experience in programming. If so how long would this take?

This topic is 832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.