Need to be taught to make a 3D MMORPG

Started by
45 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 7 months ago

I wasn't saying cubeworld was an mmo but I was just trying to say that 2 people made a 3D rpg that is fairly multiplayer. But I guess your right though an mmo isnt the way to start. I guess ill start making small games but this leads up to my first question. Where can I learn to make simple games and work my way up?

Why here of course!

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

Advertisement

I wasn't saying cubeworld was an mmo but I was just trying to say that 2 people made a 3D rpg that is fairly multiplayer. But I guess your right though an mmo isnt the way to start. I guess ill start making small games but this leads up to my first question. Where can I learn to make simple games and work my way up?

Why here of course!

Um well I need somewhere that has a step by step course. Like I said im very new to this.

Um well I need somewhere that has a step by step course. Like I said im very new to this.

Step by Step guides to how to program a specific game are generally not that great as they tend to be inflexible. Sure you might be able to follow it and make game A, but if your goal is to make game B, you're going to have some difficulties. Programming is all about problem solving, and if you want to create something new, you need to learn how to figure things out for yourself rather than following a step by step guide.

That being said, tutorials on how to program in general can be very useful. Once you've done some of those, try making a basic game without any assistance. You'll no doubt muck it up the first time, but it will teach you valuable lessons that will help you in the future.

I'm sure there are people here that can recommend some programming tutorials for you (I can't help you there sorry, as they didn't exist when I learnt how to program so I've never used any myself).

Step by Step guides to how to program a specific game are generally not that great as they tend to be inflexible. Sure you might be able to follow it and make game A, but if your goal is to make game B, you're going to have some difficulties. Programming is all about problem solving, and if you want to create something new, you need to learn how to figure things out for yourself rather than following a step by step guide.

That being said, tutorials on how to program in general can be very useful. Once you've done some of those, try making a basic game without any assistance. You'll no doubt muck it up the first time, but it will teach you valuable lessons that will help you in the future.

I'm sure there are people here that can recommend some programming tutorials for you (I can't help you there sorry, as they didn't exist when I learnt how to program so I've never used any myself).

This is what Ive never understood. Every single person I ask how they learned to program such as minecraft modders they tell me that they "taught themselves". How the heck do you just teach programming to yourself. If programming and coding is really as complicated as all of you said it was then how does one learn just by watching a youtube tutorial and then work your self up to making an MMORPG. Do I not need a course for basic programming? Or can I just learn to make simple games then work my self up with youtube tutorials?

Over on www.udemy.com they have classes on c#, unity and 3d modeling. Multiple times a year they have a sale for $10 a course, you just missed one. As far as the mmorpg part goes I don't know of any resources for unity, but then again I don't really know much about unity. My suggestion in that regard is that you make an account on the unity website and look/ask around about mmorpg's in unity. Modern MMORPG's are pretty complicated since they usually involve resource streaming so I don't even know if unity has that built in. Unreal on the other hand includes C++ source (IIRC)(which can be modified to support resource streaming if not builtin) and C++ is used in performance oriented network code. Udemy has courses on unreal4 as well. I have no experience with there courses so I can't really help you with that or offer you critique, but they can be cheap when caught on sale. No matter what though you have a long road ahead of you, especially since you seem to be starting from scratch.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This is what Ive never understood. Every single person I ask how they learned to program such as minecraft modders they tell me that they "taught themselves". How the heck do you just teach programming to yourself. If programming and coding is really as complicated as all of you said it was then how does one learn just by watching a youtube tutorial and then work your self up to making an MMORPG. Do I not need a course for basic programming? Or can I just learn to make simple games then work my self up with youtube tutorials?

I believe that one of the most helpful things you can do as someone just starting out is to focus on the programming fundamentals. You want a course that teaches you how to make a full game... but that is like asking for a course on how to create a skyscrapper when you don't know how to use a hammer.

There are courses out there:

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1609-Introduction-to-Unreal-Engine-4

https://www.udemy.com/game-development-fundamentals-with-python/

https://www.udemy.com/construct2-the-complete-game-creation-course/

If you wanted to start from the "ground up" there are some very good (and basic) programming courses. The ones I am going to list were designed for "kids", but I find these are an engaging way to learn and you will hopefully learn something:

https://code.org/

https://www.codecademy.com/

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

Those are some resources to get started understanding the basics of programming. The programming core concepts translate across languages and learning to write programs first will help you wrap your mind around the more advanced concepts.

I started programming in QBasic before the internet. The number of resources and tools around today is staggering and there are so many different paths to get started. I think the key is to just "pick something (read ANYTHING)" and try to make "something". Don't worry about picking the "right" thing. Don't worry if what you make sucks. Just create... program and program and then program some more. Keep programming until you have programmed a LOT and then program even more than that. I have been programming for over 15 years and I learn new things every day.

Once you know the programming basics (variables, flow control, loops, arrays, dictionaries, file I/O, ect) then you can start using "some tool" (there are many out there) to create 2D games. These 2D games will teach you the basics of game development and how a games many systems are constructed (graphics, sounds, user input, AI, physics...)...

Once you have some 2D games under your belt then you are ready to tackle the complications that 3D adds (such as more 3D math, 3d models, shaders, ect).

You learn basic programming knowledge from tutorials and books, while asking questions on forums like this one.

You acquire experience by working on small (very small) projects like pong and tetris and connect four, and work your way up to slightly larger projects (like side-scrolling platformer or top down shooters), larger projects (small 2D rpgs or basic first-person shooters), and so on. There's no set path, so the exact projects you work on will vary.

Ultimately, you work on larger and larger projects, but starting small.

Programming is difficult and frustrating (but enjoyable and worth pursuing).

Games, in general, are one of the more complicated programming projects.

Really polished 2D games take alot of work.

Really polished 3D games take even more work.

RPGs are one of the harder genres to make, though not impossible.

Making something multiplayer takes extra work.

Making something multiplayer over the internet takes more work.

Making something capable of hosting 100 players at once takes more.

Making something capable of hosting 1000 players at once takes more.

Making something capable of hosting 10,000 players at once takes more.

10,000 at the same time is the number where a game stops being an "Online RPG" (ORPG) and instead becomes a "Massively Multiplayer Online RPG" (MMORPG).

(To be more specific, 100,000 active subscribers is the unofficial mark of when a game becomes an MMORPG. On average, 10% of your active subscribers would be online at the same time during peak play times, barring special events and such)

The more people you try to have online at once, the harder the server architecture gets.

When someone says "I want to make an RPG (one of the hardest genres), that's 3D (adding to the complexity), and that's an MMO (>10,000 active users), and it's my first project, what do I do?", they almost 100% of the time don't realize the scope of what they are actually asking.

Sometimes when people say "I want to make an MMORPG", they really mean, "I want to make a small game with a few dozen/hundred people able to play online at once", which isn't an MMORPG. It's sounds like this is what you mean - which means your task isn't "almost impossible", just very very difficult.

Several people have made large online RPG games on their own or with very small teams. But never as their first project.

It's a fantastic goal to reach for, but if you want to achieve it, and make it a great polished game (instead of a buggy incomplete mess that barely works and never can get finished), then you should start with smaller steps.

If you want to reach the mountain top, you don't head in a strait line up the mountain - the sides are too steep. Instead, you following the small unimpressive curving path that gradually winds its way around. This requires you to keep your mind on your eventual goal (years from now), while temporarily taking your eyes off of it to focus on the smaller intermediate goals.

Good luck on your journey! I'll meet you at the top.

Sincerely,

- Someone who is taking the side route, and is 20% up the mountain after 10 years of programming.

I taught myself, starting when I was 8. I read books. My first programs were not games, but simple text... things... Games came much later and were crude to say the least. I had learned how to write and structure code long before I even tried to make my first game and even then it looked like it was made by a child.

It can be done, but you are starting at what is the most difficult area of programming outside of OS design with no underlying knowledge of programming principles and concepts. Write a "Hello World!" program and go from there. For the time being, give up on making games. At some point down the road all that you learn will "click" and you'll get a game idea within your abilities.

Guys... I'm gonna be frank with you... but even if there is a course to teach you how to do this, the resources it will require will be freaking ridiculous.

Not only that but the low level code for the server... yeah good luck.

However, I'm not going to put you in the dirt completely. I don't know much about your experience, and... from what I can gather... you guys -seem- like you have experience. These are not tutorials or lessons. These are resources.

Look up a project called OpenSim. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
This is a project that was based off of Liden Lab's second life. It's world is stupidly massive and allows content creation while inside the game by players and devs. However, you can easily modify it if you know how to read it's code.

http://www.planeshift.it/

This is an opensource MMO project. I doubt it has tools availible to you, but you can make them yourself. And don't feel too discouraged... most of the world building process is putting down meshes to give details.

And then there are these bits.

PS: There is a tutorial. The problem is that there is no Tutorial to make the server code fast enough to run a massive world. Usually server processor architectures like Xeon and Opteron.

https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/mmo-development-class

From my understanding... A "Server" is not just one computer. A "Game Server" is a giant cluster of smaller computers that runs the server software. These servers have to run all the tasks that updates the game state. Subtract visuals and sound of course.

Sooo... what you got is a 12 core processor or larger, running calculations within a cell. A cell being a grid of tiles for worlds that aren't overly populated by AI (Ark Age, and Planet Side 2)

Or by levels where you have an airlock. During that airlock, the player's data is quickly transferred to the next server that handles that Level. (GW2 hints at this with overflow servers. Keep in mind that GW2 has a lot of AI processes and scripts running in the background. The number of players per server has to be significantly reduced to fit this.) This is why it's almost impossible to run a minecraft server featuring 10,000 players.

I must agree with this. Programming is nothing like 3D modeling. I couldn't just go to Google and type "How to mirror model in Blender" and figure it out after 10 minutes. In programming, I think you need people to teach you to some extent. Gamedev chat can be really useful for some quick questions.

What will you make?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement