• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dwiel

Basic Full Screen DOS ?

This topic is 6155 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I make my C++ application, using cout, cin, or printf, etc. functions, full screen with preferably a choise of the height, width of the screen, ex. 50*80 or 50*25 or whatever. I don''t want to use DX or GL or anything new just basic stuff for maybe a 2,3,486. Thanx Tazzel3D - Zach Maybe some ASM, example or whatever, I learn by examples.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
A console app? Just hit alt+Enter while the window has focus.

All I want is so that in Windows, My DOS program start in fullscreen, and not the windowed thing it normally starts in. I need more space.

Thanx for the fast replies

TazzelD ~ Zach

HANDLE hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
int width = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXMAXIMIZED),
height = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYMAXIMIZED);
SMALL_RECT rect;
rect.Left = 0;
rect.Top = 0;
rect.Right = width;
rect.Bottom = height;
COORD c;
// the coords below should be in terms of rows and columns, not pixels
c.X = cols;
c.Y = rows;
SetConsoleScreenBufferSize(hConsole, c);
SetConsoleWindowInfo(hConsole, TRUE, &rect);

I guess what I want to know to know what to do is create, update, etc what MSDN is calling a console. Oluseyi, I am very new to windows programming, and try to stay away from it most of the time, so, what else do I need for your code to work. I don''t even know how to create the consol.

Thanx for the quick replies.

Tazzeld ~ Zach

Alternatively,

CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO info;
GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(hConsole, &info);
COORD c;
c.X = info.dwMaximumWindowSize.X;
c.Y = info.dwMaximumWindowSize.Y;
SetConsoleScreenBufferSize(hConsole, c);
c = GetLargestConsoleWindowSize(hConsole);
if(c.X == 0 && c.Y == 0)
return GetLastError();
rect.Left = rect.Top = 0;
rect.Right = c.X;
rect.Bottom = c.Y;
SetConsoleWindowInfo(hConsole, TRUE, &rect);

I haven''t used these functions much, so you''ll have to fool around with them to get the results you want.

quote:
Original post by Tazzel3D
I guess what I want to know to know what to do is create, update, etc what MSDN is calling a console. Oluseyi, I am very new to windows programming, and try to stay away from it most of the time, so, what else do I need for your code to work. I don''t even know how to create the consol.

When you create a Win32 Console application (using main()), Windows allocates a console for you automatically. Using GetStdHandle() you can get a handle to that console and modify it. You''ll need to include <windows.h>.

Look up the declarations and descriptions of each of those functions in MSDN. And get comfortable with Win32 programming; it''s going to be around quite a while longer.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!