Need Advice: Chromium Implementation

Started by
1 comment, last by Tangletail 8 years, 7 months ago

Hello everyone! I'm begining the long and arduous process of implementing google chrome into my project. I'm still reading the documentation and picking away at where everything is in case I need to modify anything into my use case. But I do have a few questions.

A. How did you go about implementing it? Did you toy around with the code so that it's actually part of the game engine, and all it's rendering effects are handled by the game. Or did you make chromium into a shell application who's soul purpose is to only render gui?

B. If you implemented the code directly into the engine as a GUI system, what files did you have to change?

C. Where are the Chromes calls to the JavaScript interpreter. I'd like to rip it out, and use LUA instead.

Advertisement

Is there a particular reason that you aren't planning to use one of the many existing chromium implementations?

A quick glance at the chromiumembedded repository suggests there's nearly 200,000 lines of code in there. Even taking into account that some of that is extended APIs that you probably won't need at first, and some of it is unit tests, that still makes it one hell of a large project to take on single-handed.

I did a minimal chromium->opengl integration of my own about 5 years back. It wasn't fun. If chromiumembedded had existed, or awesomium had been free back then, I wouldn't have done it.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I am looking at Chromium Embedded. Probably should have clarified that. I forgot that Chromium, and Chromium Embedded are two completely different things.

The other thing I am looking at is EA's Webkit, which looks fairly simple and is pretty direct in what you have to do to implement.

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining about it... but why did this post get a +1

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement