System requirements

Started by
8 comments, last by tragic 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I am making an out of game dev question. I am considering to buy a new laptop with those specifications : processor AMD quad core 4000 (1.30GHz 1600MHz 2MB), ram 16 GB ,graphics AMD Radeon HD 8280 450MHz , 500GB HDD etc...

Is it a good laptop for game development ?

Advertisement

It depends on the game you want to develop. Personally I would only consider a laptop with dedicated, at least mid-performance, GPU.

1.3 GHz is less than my phone. Quad-core will help with multiple file compilation but your linking time is going to be awfully long, since it needs single core power.

Not sure about graphics, but compare it to other games: can you run Skyrim? Do you plan to make something better than Skyrim?

With 1.3 GHz your compile times will be slow.

Aether3D Game Engine: https://github.com/bioglaze/aether3d

Blog: http://twiren.kapsi.fi/blog.html

Control

1.3 GHz is less than my phone. Quad-core will help with multiple file compilation but your linking time is going to be awfully long, since it needs single core power.

Not sure about graphics, but compare it other games: can you run Skyrim? Do you plan to make something better than Skyrim?

I want that when using tools like Unreal engine, VS, etc, not to get stuck, and not to get messages like "... has stopped working" . I plan to develop 3D games, but not better than Skyrim, with not heavy graphics.

Not sure about graphics, but compare it other games: can you run Skyrim? Do you plan to make something better than Skyrim?

I want that when using tools like Unreal engine, VS, etc, not to get stuck, and not to get messages like "... has stopped working" . I plan to develop 3D games, but not better than Skyrim, with not heavy graphics.

Graphics has little to do with it. Your processor is going to make you wait around for Unreal/VS to compile and process data. You could have an amazing onboard GPU and still have slow compile times due to the processor.

I wouldn't buy any laptop for any purpose these days unless it has SSD or atleast a hybrid drive, faster disk access makes even light office work smoother.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Any reason why not going for a much powerful desktop machine instead of a laptop?

If you're going to be using UE4, you absolutely must have a quad core processor which runs very fast. I recommend an intel i7. There is no exceptions. UE4 compiles shaders in the background and it uses your other processor cores to do this while you're using the editor. If you don't have enough cores, you WILL have to wait for the shaders to finish compiling. This can take up to two minutes to complete. Every time you move an object around in your scene, it also causes a shader recompile. So, you'll be moving something, waiting two minutes, moving it again, waiting two minutes, etc. UE4 is unusable without enough cores. If your time is worth anything, get a powerful processor!

I am going with no. It will create a major bottleneck for you workflow since you will always be waiting for the CPU to complete a task. I would invest in a system that has a much better CPU. If you're going for a laptop you should try for an i7 since that would roughly get you a lower performance desktop i5 with hyper threading. And dedicated graphics is a must as well (I would worry less about the chip you're getting for GPU as long as its a dedicated card.)

Ideally you should be going for a desktop with enthusiast CPU like an Intel i7 - 5820k. 16 - 32GB RAM, Mid range or higher GPU, SSD boot drive and a couple of HDD's in RAID 1 for safe storage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement