Sign in to follow this  

Ignore certain elements of the scene when building a quadtree?

This topic is 825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got a funny problem to solve.

Firstly, I've got a scene which was built with various parts,

some parts of which are shapes which should not be necessarily be included as obstacles to build a quadtree map.

However, because my hands were too itchy, I converted everything to editable polys when exporting.

I don't know, should I revert it back to a primitive, or should I programatically ignore that part of the mesh.

I do have backups, but I am too lazy, because all dimensions and scales are correct at the latest version.

I am stranded because the walkable tiles are treated as unwalkables not...

What way is the best and easiest way to work around this?

Thanks

Jack

Graphics meshes are different from collision objects. What you see on screen is not what you are using in physics, unless what you are seeing is a simple box.

A graphics mesh has lots of fine details and polygons.

Physics objects are usually boxes, spheres, or capsules. Since these are tested mathematically these are mathematically defined, not polygonally defined; that is, for a sphere the physics system uses a center point and a radius rather than a bunch of polygons that look like a ball. These physics objects use the same transformation matrix as the game objects and graphics meshes.

Quadtree navigation mesh footprints are usually rectangles or circles, again defined mathematically.

This topic is 825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.