Help me find tutorial to make this type of game

Started by
15 comments, last by LordRhys 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes. "When can I start" tries to cover this but it is realy hard to make it air tight. Maybe you can try to start with the real project if the prototype you have been developing has all the features you want in the game. Is that a better phrasing of the step?

Advertisement

Really new programmers are very much focused on their dream game. Trying to talk them away from it may be counter-productive (only in step 5 I can do what I really want??? Oh man, this guy is so wrong!). Rather than selling the first games as "quick and throw away", they'd better be steps towards the real game (even if they are in reality discarded).

Maybe add one small thing each iteration until finished?

If you can't make it work, make it smaller

If you can't make it work, write a small experimental game with the new thing?

The big danger is that "small thing" is way too big in reality, new programmers over-estimate the step-size they can take.

It needs a careful explanation how small a small thing really is, and that it's useful to do experiments elsewhere, and copy the results.

New programmers don't understand the solution structure is important rather than solution itself.

I need some pretty beginner-friendly tutorial because I also need the knowledge on how to design a Zelda-esque game. That and I'm just not confident enough to code on my own.

By the sound of it you want to make a zelda type game but dont feel confident in doing so. Maybe it would be better to make a simple game something you are confident in making to compleation and work your way up to zelda Zrifepsych

You're very lucky to even be using a language and engine where you can just Google up "how to make zelda".

If you were to try this with DirectX or even unity you'd probably hit a stumbling block immediately.

Read all the articles others have provided and you'll go a long way.

Good luck!

Depends on your current skill and knowledge, but I'd say basic maths will overcome this problem.

Trigonometry and polar coordinates will suffice but in the end you just need to look up tile-based collision detection.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Go to Youtube, subscribe to Heartbeast channel, you will learn programming in GameMaker, he also has a book in print and a Udemy course you can take.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement