Math book for learning

Started by
3 comments, last by Syntac_ 8 years, 7 months ago

I am looking for math books that are quality reading, and hardcover if possible that will allow me to teach my self math from algebra all the way to advanced calculus and I also want a math book that will allow me to understand all the math symbols and usage of them and notations and what and why they are used.... is this even out there? I been to college and had math through Calculus 15years ago and loved it, but have never pursued getting my math degree and now it's on my mind to get a B.S. in Mathematics. I would like to buy some good books to reteach myself and understand better the math language as a whole.

e.g. where and why to use super script sub scripts or when and why to use the square root or power functions... also trig and geometry math I would like books that cover these topics as well.

So I am looking for peoples who have a BS in Mathematics or have pursed this route on their own already and have these great books and want their recommendations.

Thanks!

Advertisement

I am looking for math books that are quality reading, and hardcover if possible that will allow me to teach my self math from algebra all the way to advanced calculus and I also want a math book that will allow me to understand all the math symbols and usage of them and notations and what and why they are used.... is this even out there? I been to college and had math through Calculus 15years ago and loved it, but have never pursued getting my math degree and now it's on my mind to get a B.S. in Mathematics. I would like to buy some good books to reteach myself and understand better the math language as a whole.

e.g. where and why to use super script sub scripts or when and why to use the square root or power functions... also trig and geometry math I would like books that cover these topics as well.

So I am looking for peoples who have a BS in Mathematics or have pursed this route on their own already and have these great books and want their recommendations.

Thanks!

No Bullshit Guide to Math and Physics. Pre-calculus (including trigonometry), calculus, physics, and some notation. LOTS of exercises. I own it and read it from cover to cover. Worth every penny.

How to Prove It. Logic, notation, proof techniques, and functions. Can be a bit challenging. GREAT exercises. I own it and have read most of it. Worth every penny.

Book of Proof. A gentler approach to logic and proof techniques. Gave me some great insights. Good exercises. You can download the PDF for free.

Essential Math by Van Verth. Best math book I've ever read. I also did enjoy the math stuff in Ericson's Real Time Collision Detection.

Linear Algebra and its Applications - David C. Lay

Some concepts of matrix/vector equations. Very easy to understand.

Calculus Volume 1-2 - James Stewart

The first volume gives a basic understanding of single variable functions, domain, ranges, limits, derivatives, and integrals, and the second focus on functions of multiple variables. There is the 7th edition of this book, which joins these 2 volumes together. This version gives a basic understanding of multiple variable derivatives, and integrals, partial derivatives, and gradients. There are some topics that covers vector calculus too, but is not too much advanced.

Advanced Calculus - Kaplan

This is a advanced book. It covers vector calculus, and is better for those who already knows the basic of calculus.

I've found this

http://chrishecker.com/Physics_References

Maybe it helps.

I believe there are much more good ones. So sorry then if I just can't remember all of them!

Does it have to be a book?

I've used Khan Academy for many years and I find it to be a great companion with text resources.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement