Maya terrain management

Started by
-1 comments, last by Azzazelus 8 years, 7 months ago

Hello. I know I posted a question like this in the Visual Section but this one is more technical. I want to implement a LOD terrain system so I can export from Maya chunks of terrain with multiple level of detail. After that in my application I render them depending in the camera position. The chunks closer to the camera are rendered with the high quality mesh and high quality shaders and the ones that are far with the low terrain version. The problem that Im having right now is that I must keep the chunks the same size so I can update the DirectX buffers and not create resources all the time. Just map and unmap wit ha buffer with the same size but a different chunk. It seems that I don't know how to manually do that in Maya. I dont know how to split the big terrain mesh in multiple equal meshes that have the same size. For now I dont want to complicate things and make a script for dividing the mesh and I was wondering if there is any workaround this. If I create resources on runtime instead updating them is a big performance hit ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement