Linux c++ debugging

Started by
10 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 7 months ago

I had no linux experience coming into my latest job. Some of our code is on linux and I'm so used to visual studio. I've used GDB as a debugger but it's a pain coming from Visual Studio. Are there any suggestions on programming tools on Linux?

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Advertisement

I had no linux experience coming into my latest job. Some of our code is on linux and I'm so used to visual studio. I've used GDB as a debugger but it's a pain coming from Visual Studio. Are there any suggestions on programming tools on Linux?

Try QtCreator, it should provide a pretty decent graphical interface on top of gdb
other IDEs like code::blocks and eclipse should do the same
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I'm using Code::Blocks with gdb(under Linux only), it works fine for me. I heard that QtCreator is better and it has similar hotkeys as VisualStudio(Code::Blocks uses entirely different shortcut keys).

Look into valgrind.

It can be used to debug, profile, and leak check your code using nothing but the command line, which is great when you can't get access to a gui.

It does have some nice gui tools that work with it though such as kcachegrind.

I don't do any Linux development without it any more...

VisualGDB is a commercial product that enables remote GDB support in many versions of Visual Studio.

And Visual Studio 2015 comes with official Microsoft support for remote GDB debugging (mainly intended for Android, but you can use it for plain Linux too).

Thankfully, there's no reason to sacrifice on your development environment and tools just because of Linux anymore. :)

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

If you are using GDB on Linux, then you almost certainly want to learn about DDD.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I've never been a fan of DDD because I don't like it's user interface, even though it's a very powerful tool. Haven't used it in a few years though, so who knows. I use KDB myself, which I find a lot easier and more intuitive to use.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

+1 to QtCreator. By far the closest to Visual Studio you'll get.

Unfortunately VS is the gold standard for debugging.

I had made a few debugging improvements to QtCreator, but I have yet to checkout the newest version and see how to port them.

I'm using CLion from JetBrains (the ReSharper folks), works great on all platforms, including Linux. Highly recommended for modern C++ development.

openwar - the real-time tactical war-game platform

I use Valgrind primarily. I very rarely need to break out an actual debugger, the times I did I just used gdb and it worked fine, though I could see it worthwhile to invest in both better front-ends and actually learning how to use it efficiently.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement