Isometric game

Started by
7 comments, last by Unduli 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I've an idea for create an isometric view game, that intent to be similar to Kingdom Rush in a view mode, I have some experience on create games but only action games, I've create one with corona SDK.

I dont have the knowledge to create that so I need some advice's how to start to create a isometric view like that :

screen_04.jpg

My idea is using Corona SDK but if its not good enough for this kind of game I could use unity, can you suguests anything to start create this?

Thakns in advance

Advertisement
In this sense, drawing an isometric view is same as drawing a top down 2D view, except you have to sort the objects so they are drawn from the top of the screen downwards and the sprites have a vertical offset from the theoretical ground quad they occupy.

There isn't much more to it really. What specifically are you struggling with?

In this sense, drawing an isometric view is same as drawing a top down 2D view, except you have to sort the objects so they are drawn from the top of the screen downwards and the sprites have a vertical offset from the theoretical ground quad they occupy.

There isn't much more to it really. What specifically are you struggling with?

Thanks for your time, I'm try to get an idea about the effort i need to have to create this type of game, first I dont if that is realible use corona on a project like that? It's a good choose? Or should I use unity? I not have any experience with unity!

My question is I need to draw the tiles to feet well on this prespective? or it's for a normal rectangle change the position and the it look like and isometric view?

My question is I need to draw the tiles to feet well on this prespective? or it's for a normal rectangle change the position and the it look like and isometric view?

For isometric games you draw the tiles in that perspective. (google: isometric tileset)

In the case of kingdom rush I think it is just one full background image, since there is no scrolling maps.

The game you provided a screenshot of is not what I would call isometric.

It is closer to a top down game in my opinion with a slight angle similar to zelda and chrono trigger:

2d-top-down-slight-angle.jpg

These games are simple, just draw the furthest away sprites first, going across and down the screen. This way the perspective will look correct.

Oh okay sorry about this, my goal is create a scenario like this

E7wic.jpg

I never create anything similir to this, my question is if this can be achievement dynamically or it's better to user a map editor or a software similar to this.

Also i've investigate a bit more about this I'm confusing what we can call for that type of view?

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks a lot fot the help

Also i've investigate a bit more about this I'm confusing what we can call for that type of view?

Actually, "isometric" is the wrong name for both projections. The generic term is "axonometric projection" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axonometric_projection
An isometric projection is an axometric projection, if all axis are equally long. The landscape above is not isometric, it's dimetric, the vertical axis has a different length.
Your bottom figure is another axonometric projection, namely trimetric projection, since the axes in the 'horizontal' plane are not equally long. (All Wikipedia knowledge).

I never create anything similir to this, my question is if this can be achievement dynamically or it's better to user a map editor or a software similar to this.

You can have either. Famous examples of the former are Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2.
Since the user can edit the world, the map is rendered from the dynamic map. Example source code can be found in OpenTTD, viewport.cpp, or FreeRCT, viewport.cpp (Viewport::OnDraw)
Basically, you have 15 differently sloped tiles (up/down of each corner, in all combinations, except all up (since that's equivalent to drawing 'all down' one level higher)).
In Rollercoaster Tycoon you have the additional challenge of vertical walls.

There are still a large number of resources on 2D isometric games on the old version of GameDev.net

The Isometric Land forum didn't survive the transition to the new site, unfortunately.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

I think this page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_projection ) pretty much sums up projections.

Nowadays people prefer to make game full 3D but with fixed orthographic projection, sounds better idea if target platform can handle 3D and you have assets.

But If you will go with 2D, you need to deal with issues like depth sorting.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement