• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
l0calh05t

3 compiler bugs in one month...

This topic is 1123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

In our current project at work we've seen about 3 or 4 "Internal compiler error" bugs in MSVC over the last three months. This was all legal C++ code mind you, so it was a pain to find workarounds which MSVC would accept without throwing up all over itself.

In our current project at work we've seen about 3 or 4 "Internal compiler error" bugs in MSVC over the last three months. This was all legal C++ code mind you, so it was a pain to find workarounds which MSVC would accept without throwing up all over itself.

Had, a few of those and out of memory errors as well. Usually a rebuild solves them, but sometimes they can be a little more persistent. Also very annoying: Linker warnings due to excessively long symbols (which happens all too often with templates and MSVCs very limited symbol lengths...)

We're the last two C++ errors?

All three are related to using C++. If you meant if they are bugs in the C++ standard, no, just bugs in MSVC.

Edited by l0calh05t

I've encountered just one, which existed in VS2013 up to and including first SP I belive. Having a double initializer-list like this:

const ecs::ComponentDeclaration::AttributeVector vAttributes =
{
    { L"Positioning", PositioningMode::NORMAL, offsetof(Character, positioning) },
    { L"ZOffset", core::generateTypeId<int>(), offsetof(Character, zOffset) }
};

Somehow caused the destructor of the first element being called twice (when doubling the array), resulting in a crash. The newer service packs fixed that, though.

EDIT: I originally made a thread about it:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/660049-destructor-in-vector-called-too-often/

Was quite obnoxious because it was not appearent that it was a compiler bug.

Edited by Juliean

Yeah I just wasn't sure if they were C#/VB errors. MS built a new compiler for 4.6 and I have heard about some bugs, at least one pretty serious (something about changing arguments to method calls in some circumstances).

Had, a few of those and out of memory errors as well. Usually a rebuild solves them, but sometimes they can be a little more persistent. Also very annoying: Linker warnings due to excessively long symbols (which happens all too often with templates and MSVCs very limited symbol lengths...)

Sadly enough rebuilds never fixed these issues for us. We did see a ton of out of memory errors though, it's not uncommon to see MSVC run out of heap space.

It's always a lot of fun to see a new engineer roll on to the project and encounter this issue, one can only wonder what it's using all that memory for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!