Sign in to follow this  

Starting Game-Dev

This topic is 814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am now starting game developing (or trying).

I wanted to try a 3D side-scroller platformer and have some little experience with Game Maker.

My question is: what engine (not Unity) do you recommend? I know C++ and looked at Ruby and Java before.

Hi Axxooss! Welcome to the forums.

I have a couple questions if that's ok! It will help answer your question a little better, I think.

How much programming experience do you have?

Have you made a game before(2D, text-based, or anything)?

What types of applications have you developed in the past?

Sorry, I think it's hard to give accurate advice on where to start without a little more information. Also, as more of a personal question, why not Unity? I'm curious why Game Maker but not Unity.

Edited by DishSoap

I can't say I have alot of programming experience, I have made 2D platformers before and once a text based game and I only made simple applications for learning purposes before. Does that help?

I thought about UE4 but am not sure if it is too much for a sidescroller. From what I have heard at least.

I tried looking around a bit for other engines but just from what I found I can't know if it is easy to use, how powerful it is etc.

I would honestly recommend Unity if you hadn't said not Unity. The amount of documentation and tutorials littered across the Unity website and the internet is vast and has all you need to build such a project. In fact, there is a template you can download off the unity store that is a small 3D platformer prototype. 

Now that I've suggested exactly what you don't want to use I will try to address your question better: 

I don't think Unreal is too much for such a project. They also have a platformer as a template: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/SampleGames/PlatformerGame/

Otherwise you can use a 3D library such as Ogre3D or Irrlicht. Here is a good list of engines if you want to stick with C++, with a list of pros: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/21/easy-to-use-cross-platform-3d-engines-for-c-game-development.

Remember, when building games for academic purposes it is often not extremely important what engine or toolset you use. You will get a lot of the same knowledge no matter what you choose, so don't stress too much about which one to use. Grab one that looks good to you and have at it, you will learn a lot!

Edited by DishSoap

Unity is a capable engine. It gets a lot of bad press because of some of the games made using it that appear on steam that are either just bad games or simple asset flips trying to rake in some cash. Neither of these are the fault of the engine though

I've been working sorta hard to make getting into game dev a lot easier. I have started a repository on Github that serves as a tutorial for software development, web development and game development using a game engine called Godot

I would recommend Godot at this point, as UE4 is focusing more on the Blueprints system (although you can use text scripting still). I am a fan of node based programming (flow based programming), and am sure you can get a good looking game up and running in UE4 quicker than you can with Godot. Still, I would recommend checking it out, as well as the other options mentioned in the link I will provide:

https://github.com/TutorialDoctor/Software_Development

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Tutorial Doctor

Having 4 years expierience with Unity and now about 2 months expierience with Unreal Engine 4, I can say both are capable engines for 3D titles. Both have their pros and cons, but for a beginner, I would actually say Unity is easier to get into. As much as people sing praises for the blueprint system, I find it not much easier to get into than Unitys C#, at least for me as a longtime programmer. And many other things are somewhat easier and quicker to do in Unity than in UE.

There are enough Pros on the unreal side to even out the scores, but at least to me, ease of use would go to unity, even if it unreal is quite close in usability.

What gave you the bad first impression if I may ask?

Edited by Gian-Reto

I can't say I have alot of programming experience, I have made 2D platformers before and once a text based game and I only made simple applications for learning purposes before. Does that help?

I thought about UE4 but am not sure if it is too much for a sidescroller. From what I have heard at least.

I tried looking around a bit for other engines but just from what I found I can't know if it is easy to use, how powerful it is etc.

If you want to use either Unity or UE4, go with Unity. It's slightly easier to understand and to get in to. UE4 somewhat more complicated (atleast in my opinion). But for a platformer, definitely Unity unless you feel adventurous

Edited by Bob Wade

This topic is 814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.