Sign in to follow this  

Level Up Your Game

This topic is 776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy folks,
I'm new here (well, I used to visit here occasionally many years ago) so I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a game consultant hoping to help game developers turn their games into hits by making them more remarkable, buzz-worthy and profitable. I've been making games since 2002, mostly as a game designer, and I've worked both as an indie and on large projects for big publishers (EA, Activision, DeNA, etc.)

I'm going to be straight with you: my plan is to start helping people here regularly, so that some of you may find me insightful enough that you'll consider visiting my site and scheduling a free half-hour chat over Skype so I can further help you out. Hopefully this will be so useful that you'll realize that using my paid services will increase your game's profits by much more than it costs and that you'd be a fool not to.

First step of this grand plan to take over the game dev world is to be super helpful. So, how may I help you?

I meant that at high resolution the text is very small, and with a constantly changing background, it's near impossible to read.  

The image transitions were stuttering badly as well.  It didn't happen when I moved the page to my non-uhd monitor, so it seems like it an't handle the upscaling.

But in any case, full screen animation as the background for a page is a very bad idea.

edit:

If I were a customer, I wouldn't want to take advice from anyone with a page that seemed so badly designed.  The rest of the site was fine; it was just the homepage that looked bad.

p.s. bragging about UHD went out of fashion in 2013. These days you can buy a UHD monitor for a few hundred dollars ;)

Edited by LennyLen

Thanks for the clearer feedback. The text you've had a hard time reading says: "We help developers create remarkable, buzz-worthy, profitable games. Don’t get lost in the crowd. Let us help you turn your game into a hit." You can just scroll to read everything else, as there is a single page.

For the test size, may I suggest pressing "Ctrl-+" a few times to zoom the page? Or adjusting your screen DPI settings in Windows' display options (assuming you're on Windows)? It seems to me like you must encounter tiny text very regularly at such a resolution.

As for performance, I'm affraid this is mostly tied to your browser or computer's performance since the image slider is made in HTML5 and Javascript.

Thanks for the clearer feedback. The text you've had a hard time reading says: "We help developers create remarkable, buzz-worthy, profitable games. Don’t get lost in the crowd. Let us help you turn your game into a hit." You can just scroll to read everything else, as there is a single page.

Actually, it was the links at the top that were hard to read, as some of the images have light backgrounds, and white text is almost invisible in such circumstances.

For the test size, may I suggest pressing "Ctrl-+" a few times to zoom the page? Or adjusting your screen DPI settings in Windows' display options (assuming you're on Windows)? It seems to me like you must encounter tiny text very regularly at such a resolution.

I did in the end use Ctrl-+, but needing to do this is rather frustrating. And yes I am on Windows, which is the problem, as I have 3 monitors - 1 UHD, and 2 HD. Trying to set individual DPI settings per monitor is possible on Win8, but the results are terrible, so the best solution is to use the native DPI settings of the UHD monitor. If I alter it to make things bigger, than I lose all the screen real-estate on the other two monitors.

As for performance, I'm affraid this is mostly tied to your browser or computer's performance since the image slider is made in HTML5 and Javascript.

This is a very newly upgraded machine - an i7-5930K running at 4Ghz, with 32Gb of 2800Mhz RAM, a GTX980ti (overclocked) all running on an MSI X99a Godlike Gaming MoBo. I'm pretty sure the performance of the machine is not an issue as it can run games such as Witcher 3 on maximum settings without even breaking a sweat. I use Chrome, but did check on IE as well, with the same result.

If I load the page on one of the HF monitors, the stuttering and grey boxes go away - thought the white text is still very difficult to read when the background picture is light coloured.

btw, sorry if my initial post was overly blunt. I was just about to leave for work, so didn't have time to write much. I should have waited until I got home and added the extra details.

Your site doesn't clearly explain what you do. Marketing? Development? Optimization? Design tuning? What?

I can't find on your site where it says which platforms you support (if that's even applicable for what you do).

Every single thing on the web page is a buzzword/phrase devoid of meaning. Technically inclined people want to know details of what you do. Imagine Skyping with a dozen people, asking you what you do, only to discover they aren't interested. That's a waste of everyone's time. That information should be available from the very start. When I'm referred to web sites without useful details, they've lost my business. Edited by Nypyren

Thanks for the feedback! Good to know when things aren't clear enough.

I help developers fine tune their design to get more success: generate more word of mouth with a stronger and better communicated concept, get better reviews and increase retention with better gameplay, and monetize better with more attractive offers (for F2P).

Looking back on it, I think you're absolutely right and that without context it can be confusing. I'll change it right away.

First step of this grand plan to take over the game dev world is to be super helpful. So, how may I help you?

As others have pointed out, this belongs in the classifieds (where you'll be competing with yours truly!)

Also, I believe we're acquainted as you are local to me.

Best of luck!

Sign in to follow this