Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Standard video resolutions

This topic is 5875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve got a question for the hardware gurus out there...I''m currently in the process of converting an old DOS game I made a few years ago to Windows using SDL, and in the process I decided I should probably up the resolution to 640x480x16. However, since the game used to run in 320x200x8, this poses a problem since all the art was drawn for the smaller resolution. I want the 16-bit color because I hate dealing with palettes . Assuming for now that redrawing all the art isn''t an option, what''s the best solution to this? My first thought was to simply run the game in 320x200x16, but I''ve been told that lots of older video cards don''t support that resolution. I also thought of doubling the size of all the art and running in 640x400x16 (twice the DOS resolution) but is this also non-standard? For now I''ll probably double the art and run in 640x480, despite this not being the same aspect ratio as the original... Any advice would be appreciated! Anthracks

A video card that wouldn''t support both 320x200 and 640x400 is unheard of. They are standard SVGA resolutions. EVERYONE supports them.

Okay, except maybe some laptop LCD chipsets. Stop nitpicking.

As for what, exactly, you should do.... consider bicubic interpolation of all the art; this should cut down somewhat on the "jaggies". Realize, however, that pixel-level drawing is a fine art, and one that sometimes does not lend itself to modification; make the nearest-pixel-or-interpolation decision on a sprite by sprite basis.

Thanks for the advice...I know that most cards would support those resolutions in 8-bit color, but they also support it in 16 or 32 bit? Cool! I''m spoiled with a GeForce which supports pretty much everything heh, so I''m not always sure whether my code will work on an old Voodoo or even a pre-3d acceleration era card...

Anthracks

If you''re aiming for a non-accelerated (like my dinosaur at the moment, ) you''d be best to stay at 640x480x16. I can just about handle a 800x600x16 on my Athlon 650MHz/128MB SDRAM/ATI RAGE IIC AGP for Half-Life, but it''s slowish.

Hope this helps.