Orientation help please

Started by
6 comments, last by ultorian 8 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

I'll get straight to the point.

No idea on how i should continue..

Awhile ago Ive started learning Java.

Not too long ago ago Ive started to code my own java rpg with out using any special lib. (awt graphics).

Now I'm trying to broaden my horizon, Ive been reading a c# reference book, along with other XNA books with the ambition to start making games in ... you guessed it, XNA.

At the moment I feel like I'm struggling, finding it really difficult to get into XNA.

The main problem is that im finding little help for xna, most of it is out of date (does that matter?).

My main goal is to make 2d rpg/rts games. What would be my the best course of action for me at the moment?

I understand this might be a bit vague. But im open to any kind of suggestions at the moment.

Is XNA really the best course for me at the moment? Even thou i have little intention to port to consoles.

I enjoy coding more than designing, so those programs that -really- help you to make stuff doesn't interest me.

Thank you.

Example of the game i made with java.

NKRp7JS.png

ep5Oh5P.png

Advertisement

XNA is discontinued and this is the reason you have a feeling that everything is outdated. That said it is still viable framework, however you may want to look at http://www.monogame.net. It is open source implementation of the XNA and despite it's name you don't need mono to run it.

Monogame is alive and kicking so you'll find quite a lot of documentation and tutorials on their site.

I would recommend Cocos2d if you want a 2D game engine with all the bells and whistles. Game maker if you want a simple 2D game engine.

The real reason behind this comment is to ask if you could provide a link to your game? I really want to try it, It's a really good looking game.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard about monogame before, but never took much notice of it. It looks rather interesting tho.

Scouting Ninja: will have to look these up, but at the moment monogame has taken my interest :)

Thanks :), sure if you want to try it out. Although its more of a demo than an actual game, (where I try out different things).

Few things are a little rough. No combat animations yet.

http://ultorian.netai.net/files/ultorian_game.jar

It's a good tech demo.

I really liked how from the main menu to the constant rain, dark colors and hooded figures all added to a constant atmosphere.

The response to the controls is nice. The character sticking out his hand when controlling the skeleton lets the player immediately know it's working.

I had a bug where the towns people would stand in front of there door, preventing me from talking to them again, as I kept opening and closing the door. The water ripple overlaps the sand when moving upwards out of the water, a minor problem that I believe you would have fixed if this was a end product.

Not using the standard strait health bar was a good choice, I could quickly glance up and see if I could summon the skeleton or was about to die.

The level design is really good, even with the random starting point there was always something intriguing nearby that would lead me back to the village.

Overall the game is really good and I look forward to see the games you make in the future.

XNA was made as a wrapper for a bunch of DirectX 9 era functionality. It also supported XBox 360 and Windows Phone 8, both are now replaced with newer devices. It is discontinued because the systems it supports are generally several generations back.

XNA still works correctly, and will continue to work correctly until the various old systems begin to break down. So it should work for at least another decade.

Monogame started as a clone implementation and still focuses on the same DirectX 9 era functionality, but also supports additional platforms.

They work, and the are more than enough to help develop most hobby games.

Oh! I'm happy you liked it Ninja,

Yep, those are known bugs. Haven't touched that game much since Ive started with XNA. Ive been meaning to continue with it as a side project and I think you've given me the push I needed.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Thanks Frob :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement