Should I encrypt my app? (coco2dx)

Started by
7 comments, last by grumpyOldDude 8 years, 4 months ago

Hi,

Do top games like angry birds encrypt their apps? If so what kind of encryption softwares do they use? I understand if someone really wants your app source they'll get it, but I just wonder if top apps bother with encrypting their apps, if they don't bother then I won't bother either.. however if they do encrypt their apps then I would very much like to know what sort of encryption tools they use

I have developed my app using coco2dx for all platforms, windows, apple, android.

Please could someone shed some light on this topic, would appreciate it so much.

Thanks.

Advertisement

No the top apps do not encrypt their data. There are various tools and utilities that you can use to explore the application and access all the images / assets etc... Some companies may use some a custom file or bundle format but this is not for encryption purposes.

Don't bother.

Thanks guys.

Anyone who wants to see how your application works will spend the time decrypting it. It only takes one person to crack it then the results can be shared with everyone, undoing your effort. The os has to decrypt your code to run it so there is always a loophole to be exploited.

What is your aim, what do you plan to protect by encrypting? Do you have query strings etc in the app, or perhaps are worried about piracy?

There are better ways to prevent both of the above.

anyway anybody can open you build (.ipa or apk) and find in it some particle files)) but it's not problem for me

But there is possibility that when you release your game, someone will steal your code, publish his own game with the same idea, attract more players and become more popular than the original one. Or is it possible to protect your idea?

Or is it possible to protect your idea?

No its not possible to protect your game from being cloned. It's probably easier for a large team to rewrite their own version and you can't patent a game mechanic, so this is always going to happen unfortunately...

If decrypt , access , and clone as mentioned in the context of this thread is the same as "copy" then the solution is this:

[Edit: this is restricted to Samsung devises]

Android apps can be protected from illegal copying using Zirconia , don't know if iOS has equivalent though. From brief reading this may not prevent reverse engineering but it does prevent physically copying your app.

For any app in general I found this quote from zoho.com

"You can always set the app to private, but then make forms and views individually public. This is the typical workaround many developers use to prevent application copying."

As braindigitalis said game mechanics cannot be protected but non-game ideas can be protected.

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement