Sign in to follow this  

Project i'm working on let me know your thoughts

This topic is 815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Below is the current project i'm working on for android tablets. Here is a little a bit about the game...

1)The goal is for your bird to travel 700,000 KM in space to reach it's home

2)You must dodge the space debris(Aka the blocks) which are randomly generated

3)Your score continues to increase as you fly however getting hit by a block decreases health by 20 and the score by 500

4) You can shoot blocks using bird ammo gaining score points of 50 each block u hit

5)This game contains randomly generated stars that move at different speeds this gives you the feel of traveling through space

6) The player will be able to choose how many blocks gets generated at start up being 4-12

7) Health will slowly decrease ever so often unless you eat a randomly generated space worm 

[attachment=29177:game2.png]

I have worked on the for about a week so far so just let me know your thoughts thanks :)

First of all, great job in getting out there and making a game and keeping it simple.I can't give great feedback without actually playing it but based on the description I will give a few tips.

• Be sure there is a difficulty curve. Ideally the difficulty curve will look like a rising sawtooth where it starts easy, have a challenging moment, then backs off and gets easier again. Each difficulty peak is harder than the last. In most games these peaks are usually seperated into levels, but you could simply control the rate of blocks you spawn throughout the game.
  • Ideally, your random block spawner isn't completely random. Be sure you don't put the player into an impossible situation where they are forced to take damage. Play with different spawning patterns and see if you an find one that is more fun. As an example, perhaps you could spawn block chains where you get a group of blocks that form long slanted walls. For the gameplay you describe having interesting obstacles to navigate is key
  • Introduce elements of risk and reward meaning create opportunities for the player to get more points or health but doing so is harder to pull off.

Three ideas for adding this to your game is

• first of all don't just randomly place your worm powerup, try to place it in a place that is hard, but not impossible to reach and
  • secondly, don't allow the player to endlessly fire without consequence. You could limit their ammo, if you fire too much your bird "overheats" and you can't fire for a short time.
  • You could implement a sprint mechanic where you limit how fast the bird can move but allow them to sprint. If you sprint too long without letting it recharge then the bird moves even slower than normal

EDIT:

Another thought relating to the difficulty spikes, concider putting rewards after the spike. Maybe a worm, ammo, or some type of power up.

Edited by HappyCoder

First of all, great job in getting out there and making a game and keeping it simple.I can't give great feedback without actually playing it but based on the description I will give a few tips.

• Be sure there is a difficulty curve. Ideally the difficulty curve will look like a rising sawtooth where it starts easy, have a challenging moment, then backs off and gets easier again. Each difficulty peak is harder than the last. In most games these peaks are usually seperated into levels, but you could simply control the rate of blocks you spawn throughout the game.
  • Ideally, your random block spawner isn't completely random. Be sure you don't put the player into an impossible situation where they are forced to take damage. Play with different spawning patterns and see if you an find one that is more fun. As an example, perhaps you could spawn block chains where you get a group of blocks that form long slanted walls. For the gameplay you describe having interesting obstacles to navigate is key
  • Introduce elements of risk and reward meaning create opportunities for the player to get more points or health but doing so is harder to pull off.

Three ideas for adding this to your game is

• first of all don't just randomly place your worm powerup, try to place it in a place that is hard, but not impossible to reach and
  • secondly, don't allow the player to endlessly fire without consequence. You could limit their ammo, if you fire too much your bird "overheats" and you can't fire for a short time.
  • You could implement a sprint mechanic where you limit how fast the bird can move but allow them to sprint. If you sprint too long without letting it recharge then the bird moves even slower than normal

EDIT:

Another thought relating to the difficulty spikes, concider putting rewards after the spike. Maybe a worm, ammo, or some type of power up.

Thanks for the incredible feedback :) I'd love to hear your ideas on the spawning the one issue I have had is where some times it does put the player in a possible situation where he does have to take damage. Any ideas on the best spawning algorithm i'd love to here it :) right now this is all i'm using for spawning

if(x < minX-eR1.getWidth())
        {
            Random generator = new Random();
            speed = generator.nextInt(30)+13;;
            x =  maxX - eR1.getWidth();
            y = generator.nextInt(maxY) - eR1.getHeight();
        }

basically maxX is the screens width and maxY is the screens height this is the first game i've ever had to do very random spawning of game objects. As for your other ideas i'll be implementing each one into the game I had a hard time myself coming up with ways to make the game fun and yet very challenging at the same time so thanks again :)

Well i've added peaks of difficulty to the game pillars of red blocks will be generated ever so often if you do not shoot the red pillars or dodge them and one hits you it's game over.

[attachment=29203:Screenshot from 2015-09-25 12:53:59.png]

Sign in to follow this