• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vinnyvicious

Vulkan Your opinion on BGFX

This topic is 1003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What's your opinion on using a library like bgfx instead of a custom GLFW + GLM + GLAD approach? With the upcoming release of Vulkan, should i wait for it and use it, or work on top of an abstraction like bgfx? It has it's own shading language.

Edited by vinnyvicious

Advertisement

What's your opinion on using a library like bgfx instead of a custom GLFW + GLM + GLAD approach? With the upcoming release of Vulkan, should i wait for it and use it, or work on top of an abstraction like bgfx? It has it's own shading language.

The shading language of bgfx can be, fairly trivially, replaced with whatever you want. bgfx is fairly easy to get up and going, and Branimir has been working pretty heavily on the DX12 stuff, so that's available (although the performance wasn't up there with DX11 yet, the last time I tried it, but he's actively working on that).

I'm a big fan of bgfx. It certainly takes a little getting used to but once you get your bearings things start moving along very quickly. Branimir is a smart fellow and extremely active on the project. He's quick to reply to email and github issues. Would definitely recommend.

Edited by AndrewMac

With the upcoming release of Vulkan, should i wait for it and use it, or work on top of an abstraction like bgfx?

When Vulkan comes out, I assume that if bgfx development is still active, then a vulkan back-end will be created underneath the bgfx abstraction, so you'll get that for free (or you can help work on the vulkan back-end yourself, toosmile.png

Unless you want to create a GPU abstraction for the sake of it, then use a library like bgfx (or a full engine). Writing a game on top of a low-level API like D3D/GL/Vulkan is a terrible idea, and creating a well-designed abstraction-layer on top of D3D/GL/Vulkan is a big project in itself.

I haven't used bgfx but I've had a quick peek at it's code. The abstraction seems very good, but some of the internal code is terrible sad.png That just means it's got a lot of room for improvement and optimization though laugh.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!