• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DeFessler

C++ Graphics Library

This topic is 1123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone! I wanted to start working on some more hobby projects. I was thinking about recreating some classics like Galaga, Breakout etc. I am trying to decide what would be a fun C++ library to use for this. I've used Allegro 4 in the past so I am considering Allegro 5. I've heard good things about SDL so I was also considering that. I could use an engine like UE4 but I feel like that's a bit much and I'd like to have less hand holding. I am trying to improve my knowledge of C++ mostly.

It's a tough choice to figure out what to play around with so I was hoping to get some advice. Even suggestions I haven't mentioned would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

I haven't ever used it, but there's been suggestions that cairo should be added to the standard C++ library as a standard way to do 2D drawing... So I assume it's decent! laugh.png

Isn't cairo a vector font rendering system? DeFessler: if you would like to finish a game instead of prototype it for ages I'd kindly recommend Unity 3D :) With C++ you will focuns only on the mechanics/features not on the game in 99% of time. And there is a great probability it will never get done. With Unity you will have your game finished in notime but also get richer for the experience that a coder is not a game producer because you will run out on levers or excitement.

Did you try SDL or Alegro and the other stuff? I wish you all of luck in your project.

It can do that too, among other things. While I have read a bit about it in the past I have not actually used it so far. The closest analogue in a nutshell is probably "something like Windows GDI" independent of any OS. That includes different output devices (a simple memory bitmap, a PDF, an OpenGL texture which was created by rendering into a framebuffer, ...). Edited by BitMaster

Isn't cairo a vector font rendering system? DeFessler: if you would like to finish a game instead of prototype it for ages I'd kindly recommend Unity 3D smile.pngWith C++ you will focuns only on the mechanics/features not on the game in 99% of time. And there is a great probability it will never get done. With Unity you will have your game finished in notime but also get richer for the experience that a coder is not a game producer because you will run out on levers or excitement.

Did you try SDL or Alegro and the other stuff? I wish you all of luck in your project.

UE4 uses C++ for game code so I don't think that statement is exactly correct.

It can do that too, among other things. While I have read a bit about it in the past I have not actually used it so far. The closest analogue in a nutshell is probably "something like Windows GDI" independent of any OS. That includes different output devices (a simple memory bitmap, a PDF, an OpenGL texture which was created by rendering into a framebuffer, ...).

EAWebkit uses cairo interally to render the webpages/uis you load with it out to a bitmap you can use for your rendering pipe.

Cairo is a drawing library.  You'll still need some kind of context for rendering, like say libSDL2, so you bitmaps will appear on the screen (unless you only want to target a particular platform, say Win32 -- which is still your context, but you're going to have to manually set up and tear down everything instead of have libSDL2/SFML/Allegro do it for you).  Also, you'll need to consider more than graphics because without audio or input, all you've got is a silent movie.

I haven't tried SDL at all but I have used Allegro 4 a long time ago. Since then Allegro 5 has come out but I figured I'd evaluate my options and see what would be cool to play with. At the moment it's more about learning C++ than it is about making games. I have a pretty strong grasp on C++ already and I've worked in web development using frameworks like Backbone and Marionette for a couple years now. I do want to learn C++ so that I can work at a company that makes games but I like the language a lot.

Thanks for all the suggestions; SFML looks interesting. I think I'll give that a try and if I don't like it I might give SDL a go but I think SFML might be what I am looking for.

Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!