Sign in to follow this  

Lua C API tutorial / book

This topic is 747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!

I am looking for some tutorial or book focusing on the Lua C API.

I find that the reference manual to Lua on this topic is not managing to help me :) The Reference manual is very formal and I am not good at extracting the "how to do it" from it: E.g "Pushes onto the stack the value t[k], where t is the value at the given valid index and k is the value at the top of the stack." - is not easy for me to understand.

Does anyone know of some tutorial / book that explains this a bit different and with some examples?

I am not looking for a book that explains the Lua Language itself, I am finding tutorials that manage to explain me this well.

Sisofys

Programming In Lua, 3rd edition. Like a quarter of the book is dedicated to the C API and the rest is not bad either.

I'll second the recommendation for this book.  It's written a lot like a tutorial, and gives tons of examples of pure Lua code.  I often end up using this book as a reference, instead of the Lua Reference Manual.

The first edition of the book is online for free, but covers an older version of Lua (5.0).  The 3rd edition covers Lua 5.2, which does have a couple of breaking changes between it, and Lua 5.0.

-- David L.

This topic is 747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.