Test my demo, please

Started by
11 comments, last by Abstract Thought 22 years, 5 months ago
I am a student of computer science, so don't laugh if you're a pro, this is my first try. I saw this article recently that said, that a resume for a programmer should contain demos. So I made two demos for 3D graphics, both use my transformation and lighting engine written in intel sse. The directdraw version uses my raster engine. It would be cool, if someone could give them a try, and give some comments. I also need to know if they will work on other machines. Link Thanks ps. It has lots of error checking, so it should walk out if anything goes wrong. Thanks Edited by - Abstract Thought on November 14, 2001 10:35:01 PM Edited by - Abstract Thought on November 15, 2001 5:18:34 AM Edited by - Abstract Thought on November 15, 2001 1:09:44 PM Edited by - Abstract Thought on November 16, 2001 7:10:51 AM
Only by art can we get outside ourselves; instead of seeing only one world, our own, we see it under multiple forms.
Advertisement
I would like to check it out, but the link appears to be incorrectly typed.

I know why I betcha. In your anchor statement you probably put something like 66.183.107.156 which really translates into http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/66.183.107.156. Try putting http:// in front of the 66.183.107.156.

I still got into the website by going to 66.183.107.156, so here is the updated link: Go Here.

Gimme a few to check it out!
I looked at the flashy cube thing, and it wasn''t bad if it was your first time making anything "neat."

It works on mine, but there is this strange mysterious 15 pixel line at the bottom that appears to trace around the taskbar. Odd isn''t it?

I had to download the DirectX 8.1 runtime thing so I can see the other one. Gimme a second to reboot and I''ll repost about what I think of the other one.
Ok, I downloaded and installed the new DX 8.1. I saw the cylinder quadric rotating thing a ma bob with an FPS counter program. Not bad for your first time, actually pretty good.

It ran at about 120 fps on my system:
733 mHz
256 mb ram
16 mb nVidia TNT Vanta AGP

About the flashy cube one, I would consider removing the mouse since it''s fullscreen; just annoying I think .

Just so you know; I wouldn''t consider sending those into a company just yet. You should improve your graphics programming knowledge and skills a little bit more and make something that will absolutely positively one hundred total percent IMPRESS THE HECK out of the company.

Most demos are almost like cinematic movies that show off the programmers best stuff! There are tons of them on the Internet; look at them!

But, remember your''e just beginning, and you have a pretty good start considering you now know how to do lighting and those sort of things.

So, keep up the good work, and who knows, you may be the best there is! Good Luck!
I ran the DD7 exe on my computer and it says its not a valid WIN32 APP. I am running Windows 2000 Pro on a dual PIII system.

We R 138
-- master_ball --------------------------------student seeking future game dev career, advice welcome
Of course it should not work on my computer, because I have a 1.4 gHz T bird athlon, but the first program switches resolution, pauses a little and aborts, while the second one says "exception" and terminates... not exactly what you want on resume demo. You should detect CPU and exit gracefully with an error message if SSE is not supported.
I just tested the Direct Draw 7 cube and it seems as though some memory isn''t being cleared. From the bottom of the screen to about an 1 inch up I am getting residule data being drawn from the frame buffer. Might want to check and see your clearing the frame buffer before each draw. Though it could be the fact it is a school''s lab computer and the drivers on it aren''t the latest. Good start but I would really get your skills up and dazzle them with one really good project. It''d be good to mix up the code and show that you can do ASM, C, C++, or whatever you think might be relavant. Also keep your code well documented. I know for a fact that some of the companies out there really like to see if you can write meaningful documentation for your code.

Pentium IV
128 MB Ram
Ati Rage Pro
Both worked fine.

Looks good for just starting.
Huh... oh I see..
Thanks guys... for the great advise and everything...

Not only were you testing my demos, you were also testing my http server, I got 41 hits and 21 downloads. Thanks everybody.

I've been working on understanding the 3d pipeline, because I don't believe in using things I don't understand or couldn't do myself.

re: Floppy, It works on mine, but there is this strange mysterious 15 pixel line at the bottom that appears to trace around the task bar.

I'm doing my own screen clearing, its basically just "mov ecx,800*600/4 rep stosd, that couldn't be it, could it. Maybe its the rasterer? Try now I think I fixed that.

re: FLCman, I just tested the Direct Draw 7 cube and it seems as though some memory isn't being cleared.

Same problem as above?

re: master_ball, I ran the DD7 exe on my computer and it says its not a valid WIN32 APP. I am running Windows 2000 Pro on a dual PIII system.

That could be because I don't show the window before going into directdraw, or maybe because of sse on windows 2000 or a dual p3, wow nice system....

re: invective, because I have a 1.4 gHz T bird athlon.

Ya athlon, I didn't support that, yet... The exception error was just what I was looking for on our system, thanks. You see if an error happens all of the programs
memory and objects will be destroyed, and an exception shows if it shut down properly. Ya

Edited by - Abstract Thought on November 14, 2001 12:15:26 AM
Only by art can we get outside ourselves; instead of seeing only one world, our own, we see it under multiple forms.
quote:
re: Floppy, It works on mine, but there is this strange mysterious 15 pixel line at the bottom that appears to trace around the task bar.

re: FLCman, I just tested the Direct Draw 7 cube and it seems as though some memory isn't being cleared.

I'm doing my own screen clearing, its basically just "mov ecx,800*600/4 rep stosd, that couldn't be it, could it. Maybe its the rasterer? Try now I think I fixed that.

Wait I know why, my system doesn't have pitch on system memory surfaces, yours must. That would really be dumb of ms though wouldn't it.

Fixed that, ya

Edited by - Abstract Thought on November 14, 2001 12:38:55 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement