RPG Generator Idea

Started by
17 comments, last by wodinoneeye 8 years, 6 months ago

general questions/settings when building a world:

- difficulty settings(agressiveness of certain NPCs, strength of NPCs)

- memory of NPCs(do they still care you broke in their house an hour later)

- size of the world

- timeflow(day/night cycle, maybe the night only takes 1/4th of the time of the day or vice versa)

- population-density(maybe broken down for specific types of population)

- something about advanced skills availability,

basically character-creation but without balancing out the characters between each other, some are supposed to be hard/easy.

Advertisement

Lets say for a quest A you need item A. But item A was randomly placed in castle B. The guards block you from entering castle B until you complete quest B. You because this is random can't get quest B until you finish quest A. If this scenario or one like it was generated randomly the player would be stuck. There are many things you need to look out for when generating quests, have you thought through what you need to look out for or even how to represent quests so that you can check for situations like the above?

Imagine that each quest grants the same type of rewards,

A item
Exp
Currency
Another Quest (For example has a 100% chance to be created)
A Side Quest (For example has a 35% chance to be created)

As you can see, most quests consist of the same components.

Yes, I think that it is possible, because the survey is just a hidden configuration (in ultima you configure your character). The best and most deep world generation (including history generation and conflicts etc.) is used by dwarf fortress.

I would check out dwarf fortress, I think it is mod-able and you can quickly test-out your survey idea. Dwarf fortress is although a good game to compare your goals. Does DF deliver what you have in mind ? If not, then you will have a problem, if more than that, you could be lucky. DF is by far the most complex fantasy world simulation I know and implementing such a beast is one of the most challenging tasks in game development.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look at it and get back to everyone.

Thanks, for the help! Dwarf Fortress carries alot of the same ideas for generating this stuff, though it seems this is more is about a sandbox world generation, that is on a 2d plane.happy.png

For anyone still confused on what exactly I'm looking to do, you could say it could be the same type of "Random" generation.

Have you GM'd any roleplaying games before? I think that's great practice for thinking about this particular design problem. Or even just finding a forum or blog on the topic and reading what people love and hate in a GM. Since the game is being run by a human, you do get to tailor the world to your players. With something like this you can try to capture some of that flexibility a human brings to the role of running a game.

You mention favorite stat and giving a bonus to it: Advice I've taken to heart in GM'ing is to try to give everyone a chance to use a skill of theirs every session. Did somebody spend points in 'swim'? Then they're going to have to cross a raging river. Diplomacy? Ok, cancel the ambush, the bandits will bar the way forward and give an opportunity to convince them otherwise. Rather than just giving a bonus to strength, face the player with gates to pull down and arm wrestling contests and having to hold back an avalanche of boulders.

At one point I GM'd a game with first time players who turned out to really, really enjoy being petty criminals. In the first session the crown prince was escaping from an evil uncle. The players were supposed to help smuggle him from the city, and then go on quests for him to consolidate some power, and then he'd rise up and seize his rightful crown. Instead the players promptly sold his location to the city guard. Ok, fine, I took the information about the players and learned I had to lead this group with promises of ill-gotten gains instead of calls to their sense of right. Can your game learn similar things? Give the player an opportunity to help the princess with a minor problem. If they jump at the chance, great, start a love story. If not, are they interested in the prince instead? Or maybe love stories just aren't there bag, and let's get back to the dungeons.

You can get some of this stuff from a survey, but you can also just observe the player for much of it. Instead of saying their favorite stat is strength, you can just see which stat they improve. Instead of asking for alignment, you can give them good and evil choices and see which they take.

You can get some of this stuff from a survey, but you can also just observe the player for much of it. Instead of saying their favorite stat is strength, you can just see which stat they improve. Instead of asking for alignment, you can give them good and evil choices and see which they take.

Thanks for the advice, but sadly some of this stuff would have to be known as the game is created, though yes, some of it can be observed.

Thanks for the advice, but sadly some of this stuff would have to be known as the game is created, though yes, some of it can be observed.

Why? Until a player talks to the merchant they don't know if he wants them to protect him or assassinate a rival. Until a player enters a dungeon, they don't know if it's filled with devious traps or hulking trolls.

Even the world map doesn't need to be set, strictly speaking, until its observed. If the player sails away from island 1 at the first opportunity, lay down island 2 at that point and keep it low level. If they stay on island 1 until the endgame, make island 2 a volcanic fortress for the big fight at the end.

Why? Until a player talks to the merchant they don't know if he wants them to protect him or assassinate a rival. Until a player enters a dungeon, they don't know if it's filled with devious traps or hulking trolls.

Even the world map doesn't need to be set, strictly speaking, until its observed. If the player sails away from island 1 at the first opportunity, lay down island 2 at that point and keep it low level. If they stay on island 1 until the endgame, make island 2 a volcanic fortress for the big fight at the end.

In the cases you speak of it is true, but it certainly is not true about other mechanics of the game, like which types of weapons to use, and which time period you choose to play in. Though that does simplify a lot of the questioning that has to be done at the beginning of the game.

Imagine that each quest grants the same type of rewards,

A item
Exp
Currency
Another Quest (For example has a 100% chance to be created)
A Side Quest (For example has a 35% chance to be created)

As you can see, most quests consist of the same components.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make, I was trying to point out if you randomly generate quests there are things to look out for to make sure they are actually completable. As in because you are using random generation you need to have logic to look out for certain situations or your quests will not be completable.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

You will have to maintains some random seed data to differentiate the flavorings/options (make them deterministic for repeats)

If its based on questions asked (at the start) like ultima (which were about how you handled things and the game was looking for consisency to your answers to those questions) then those (multiple) answers still get boiled down to factors which then affect the mission options.

Also keeping track of key activity 'themes' (like player attacking towns or THIS town ) would need to be maintained to cause the different REACTIONS of the local NPCs (with the corresponding logic in the random generated stuff to adjust the outcomes)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement