Sign in to follow this  
wburton72

Is there a market for 2d/ low end 3d games?

wburton72    107
I'm a one person artist/ developer that wants to make a sellable game but I don't have the ability or the time to make content like modern animated models and audio. Only 2d and low end 3d is within my grasp. Is there a market for 2d or low end 3d games?

Ashaman73    13715

Yes, there is. Many successful indie  games were made within a "week" (aka short duration). When you are able to sell a few hundred copies of a game you made within a week you could make a profit. Sure, good looking, top game will sell more, but they cost millions of $. 

Thought low-end is != ugly art, remember this. The 100th clone of a platformer with not appealing art will have a much harder time than a clever idea with low/abstract art.

Edited by Ashaman73

kcorpier    118

I'm going to say yes. My primary focus of game development is 2D, mostly because it's what I gre up playing and love with heart, but partially because after much training, I found that 3D was not within my expertise to do solo,within a profitable time span. Haha. Anyways, just take a look at the top successful indie games, and the majority of them are created with 2D sprites: ei: Brain, Super Meat Boy, Castle Crashers, and I'm sure the list could go on, but it's late, and I'm fairly sleepy. 

There are lot's of 3D games, bu there are also lots of 2D games. Just go with what you're good at, can handle within your means, and where your heart belongs.

Smile and be happy with your love of developing games for those who cannot develop for themselves :)