undecided in what i learn to game programming

Started by
11 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 6 months ago

hi, i created a lot of games with gamemaker but my brother bought to me a google play license and for that reason i need to quit gamemaker, but i want to use first a game framework and later use unity, but now im undecided.

Advertisement

Why not directly go for unity ?
If your goal is to make a game using one framework, Unity is your goal.

hi, i created a lot of games with gamemaker but my brother bought to me a google play license and for that reason i need to quit gamemaker, but i want to use first a game framework and later use unity, but now im undecided.

You don't NEED to quit just because your brother bought you a license. Anyway, Google Play uses Java. You'll have to learn that, and another framework. I think they also use C++, not too sure on that. Possibly some scripting languages.

What will you make?

If you're happy with Game Maker why not just stick with that? It CAN export to Android, you know...

Why not directly go for unity ?
If your goal is to make a game using one framework, Unity is your goal.

No, first i want to learn programming how it can be and later i will use unity and i'll have more experience coding

You don't NEED to quit just because your brother bought you a license. Anyway, Google Play uses Java. You'll have to learn that, and another framework. I think they also use C++, not too sure on that. Possibly some scripting languages.

If you're happy with Game Maker why not just stick with that? It CAN export to Android, you know...

i want to use gm but the license of professional edition + android module is very expensive to me and i dont have more money.

Using Unity you will must have to code using a scripting language, that ends to the same, you can win time to learn directly inside it using C# for scripts for example.

If you want to link Google Play Services inside Unity you will have to make a plugin using java which link java to Unity.

Maybe new version of Unity has that directly inside but until version 5 you had to make a plugin yourself.

Unity is a really nice and fairly easy to use engine, imo. The personal edition looks like it allows you to export to android, the pro versions just add more features I think. I found my use of unity to be very rewarding.

+1 for Unity and C#...

It's a nice feature packed engine, and depending on your project and tastes you need to / can do a lot in code, as opposed to setting it up in the editor.

C# is quite comparable to Java. If you learn one of them, you will grasp the other one in a short time.

The ONLY thing that needs to be asked: do you want to go 3D? If not, why not stay with Game Maker if it really does export to Android? Do you miss features in Game Maker, or do you just want to widen your horizon by starting to use other engines and frameworks?

now i dont want to use unity, i want to use a language and a framework for 2d game dev for android and pc

If you liked gamemaker have godot a look. http://www.godotengine.org/

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement