• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Michael Santer
      Hi!
      We're currently two programmers and a game designer working on a turn-based tactics fantasy board game. For reference you can search for images of "Tactics Arena Online", a fairly dated game that used to have a lot of depth and complexity.
      Our goal is to use the same combat concepts, but giving it a much needed modern touch as well as a whole new set of heroes to choose from with additional abilities. The game is a mix of isometric and 3D and we plan to release the game on Steam and hopefully Android & iOS as well.
      We are looking for someone to work with us pro-bono (just like we're doing) as a 3D character artist. The skills needed are creativity, a hard working attitude and an ability to make minor animations (things like idle, walk, block and very rudimentary attack animations). A perk to have would be the ability to make some VFX. If the game makes it on steam and money starts coming in, you'd obviously be compensated for your hard work, but as it stands this is a hobby project to garnish your portfolio.
      A bit more about the game:
      This game will be an online multiplayer game where each user gets to pick up to 10 characters to place on his half of the board (this would be done before even entering matchmaking. Think runes in League of Legends for example). The user can place his 10 units of choice anywhere he likes on his half board. Some units can be used more than once. So if you want 4 knights and 2 mages or even if you want 10 clerics, you can do as you please. You can then save your setups for future use. The goal of the game is to wipe out the enemy team.
      Each character or Hero (except premium and abyss characters) start with 1 ability and they can ascend (either by playing a certain amount of matches with the character or by forcing the ascension with real money) to gain a new ability or passive. Acquiring a new character can be done by using in-game currency that you earn from playing matches or using real money with the exception of Abyss characters which can only be acquired by winning certain rare matches. The goal is to offer a freemium game with lots of customizable elements while making sure that no user can "buy power" with real money. We want everything that a paying user can get to be available to non-paying users who play the game a lot.
      Ultimately we want this to become a competitive game that people can enjoy and really get invested in. Each character is designed with options for counterplay in mind and synergy with other heroes.

We sincerely believe in what this game can become and we home to find someone just as passionate as we are to get involved in this project!
    • By CrazyApplesStudio
         Hello , i would like to showcase my first game project, a simple endless casual arcade game called Apples Mania : Apple Catcher. The game has simple goal , scoring as high as possible by collecting falling apples while the difficulty gradually increases. Different apples are worth different amount of points and there are also 2 power-ups to help you in your challenge.
        The game took me about 2 months to complete and polish and i made everything except for the music tracks and some of the sound files. Made in unity and blender3d.
        Would appreciate any kind of feedback.
      Google Play Link

A trailer showing basic game-play:

• By Paszq
      Troglodytes are a playable races in Arpago - they usually don't talk much and most of them lives near water sources.
    • By Paszq
      a Fox in a dungeon :)
    • By Paszq
      Fox Folk is one of 3 playable races in Arpago.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity Need help for game. C#

This topic is 931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well as everyone knows you are supposed to make C# games in XNA or Unity. But for me i find it 10x more interesting doing it with the c# framework by itself. Is this bad or will the game be possible without the fancy enxtensions?

Advertisement

I don't really understand what you mean by the "C# framework" and you can't really put XNA and Unity in the same category. XNA is/was a framework while Unity is an entire ecosystem.

If you want a useful answer you will have to tell us what you're aiming for.

Using the C# language and the .NET Framework you are still leveraging tools made by others.  You're just leveraging different tools.

Professional studios rely on all kinds of libraries.  There is generally no need to rewrite everything yourself.  In the 1980s you needed to write your own graphics drivers for every card, your own audio systems that wrote directly to the memory locations and IO ports of the different audio cards.  Over time more middleware came out where you could hit a generic driver for many different audio cards, or VESA drivers for a bunch of video cards. These days we hit systems like OpenGL or DirectX for graphics, we use systems like WWise or FMod for audio. And that can mean relying on major engines like Unity or Unreal as well.

There is nothing inherently wrong with doing it all yourself.  You could even write your game entirely in machine code if you felt the urge.  But doing so is directly at odds with productivity.

You can take advantage of systems that would take thousands of hours, tens of thousands of hours, or even millions of hours for you to develop on your own.  And that is exactly why most groups do it.

I don't really understand what you mean by the "C# framework" and you can't really put XNA and Unity in the same category. XNA is/was a framework while Unity is an entire ecosystem.

Im aiming for c# without the game extensions like XNA or Unity. Just plain c# and graphics, such as  

e.Graphics.DrawRectangle(new Pen(Color.Black), daleTalkRadius);

daleTalkRadius.Location = new Point(dalex - 100, daley - 70);
                e.Graphics.FillRectangle(new SolidBrush(Color.PeachPuff), entityDale);
                e.Graphics.FillRectangle(new SolidBrush(Color.PeachPuff), entityThief);
                entityDale.Location = new Point(dalex, daley);
                entityThief.Location = new Point(thiefwalkx, thiefwalky);

Unity is a skeleton. You're still doing most of the work if you want to make something interesting.

But... yeah. Programming the entire thing from scratch with C# is a lot harder than you really think it is... but if you want access to source, I suggest taking a look at Paradox Engine.

It's entirely built in C# and is open source.

Has PBR, and is making some very decent progress. Not sure if it has a working terrain system however... but you can implement that yourself.

Im aiming for c# without the game extensions like XNA or Unity. Just plain c# and graphics, such as  

If GDI works for you, that's totally fine as a first step. Just be aware of the limitations, such as the lack of hardware acceleration.

Direct2D was designed as a replacement for GDI and is the more modern option.

e.Graphics.DrawRectangle(new Pen(Color.Black), daleTalkRadius);

daleTalkRadius.Location = new Point(dalex - 100, daley - 70);
                e.Graphics.FillRectangle(new SolidBrush(Color.PeachPuff), entityDale);
                e.Graphics.FillRectangle(new SolidBrush(Color.PeachPuff), entityThief);
                entityDale.Location = new Point(dalex, daley);
                entityThief.Location = new Point(thiefwalkx, thiefwalky);

XNA is a high level framework built on DirectX for gaming purposes (XBOX, some kind of phone I forgot and windows).
Using WFA (Which is bad because you should relay on WPF today and NOT windows forms) is exactly like using XNA (Both needs the dlls and framework installed).
They are both frameworks which were developed by Microsoft to do some sort of work. 
GDI isn't suitable for high professional game development.

If you don't want XNA there are couple of wrappers for OpenGL in C# (OpenTK is one of them) and wrappers for DirectX.

In the end, every framework have to be installed on the system for the game to work,

either if it's XNA, Unity, or plain GDI, the difference is when you install it.

Some come built-in with Windows, others have to be installed. 

Edited by WoopsASword

Just be aware of the limitations, such as the lack of hardware acceleration.

This to me can be important.  I think what you're doing is doable but if your game is or will be cpu heavy, hardware acceleration can matter depending on how much you draw (especially alphablended sprites)(and the hardware of your audience).  But if its your first game and its small in scope, then by all means if it makes you comfortable then go for it.  But I think you'll most likely want to use a framework or engine at some point so you're gonna have to learn one eventually.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement