What exactly is API-First?

Started by
26 comments, last by rpiller 8 years, 6 months ago
So I read this link: http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/27/the-future-of-coding-is-here-and-threatens-to-wipe-out-everything-in-its-path/
And it seemed like a whole lot of nothing. So I googled the term. And the first 3 links were still vague. I get it's a "new" approach to developing software. But why should I buy into this? Is there a takeaway from this paradigm I should be getting and embracing?

I'm going to keep googling. But I was hoping that someone had a more concrete, concise explanation of this new API-First thing.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Ugh.

I also had a Google, as I was curious. Seems like drivel written by journalists without any actual real-world development understanding to me, but I'm happy to be corrected on this.

The idea that we have traditionally focused on the back-end, then developed the API as an afterthought seems pretty bogus to me.

"API First" is similar to "Big Design Up Front". You specify the methods you think you are going to need. Or in this case, they're talking about web calls rather than method calls, but those are functionally equivalent.

If you've already got systems working, it is called "Standardization" instead.

TL;DR: Clickbait headline on slow news day.

Well after reading up on this it seems a bit daft to me for all but huge projects.

It's like writing an engine before you have any game to use it.

Basically you write the api first indenting to use that api to write your website so that extending the service to apps, desktop programs, etc can be easily done through that api.

That is all well and good but IMHO (as a business solutions developer with many years under my belt) it could result in a massive drain on resources. A library can easily be wrapped by a Web api using various dcom such as xmlrpc. It's one thing to write a reusable library (sensible) but another to go creating a Web api, kind of like "build it and they will come".

This is my own opinion and might not necessarily reflect reality smile.png

Maybe ask the person who wrote this? There is a name and a Twitter handle.

Self fulfilling prophecy. Author talks big about nothing, nothing becomes something because of what the author said. Bam, traffic.

Next year you'll be hearing about API First manifesto or something...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

It's like writing an engine before you have any game to use it.

Actually I'd say it's like the opposite. Write (or prototype) your game to figure out what you need, and then build/use the engine that best accomplishes those needs.

But really, the headline is total clickbait and the article is just drivel. This isn't the "future" of coding. It's the future, present and past. The large software company I used to work at has been API-focused for at least a decade. This is nothing new. Design the APIs to ease and enable coding scenarios, and not as "artifacts" of the underlying implementation.

Feh.

All our projects have been API First before API First was a thing.
</webdevhipster>

Just wanted to throw more fuel to the SEO fire.

Chet Kapoor is the chief executive of Apigee and previously served as vice president of content management and search products at IBM and VP/general manager for the integration group of BEA Systems.

So, it's written by a guy who's built a career in sounding like he's managing tech people... And who now manages a business that claims to "power the most API programs" with it's "API management" platform... a business whose website spruiks "APIs for dummys".

And we're suprised that he's writing authoritative-sounding drivel about how APIs are somehow a new thing?... Which probably sounds very persuasive to other pretending-to-be-tech-manager VP types, who'll force their actual tech underlings to write their new APIs on top of Mr Kapoor's platform? Smart.

I'm going to start asking people if their businesses use API programs, because they really should be! How ever did we get by before we could write API programs!?

First comment on the article sums it up nicely.

Did someone resurrect Jackson Pollock and give him access to Word to just splatter a bunch of buzzwords over?
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement