use c# instread of lisp and prolog

Started by
1 comment, last by WozNZ 8 years, 6 months ago

hi.

we know prolog and lisp as scripting languages for ai but as we see there is no commercial use of them in programs and games. and most of apps and games use c family or java and... and lisp and prolog are just used for scientific uses and they are just used to work with logical statements and...

i believe you can simply define those statements in a language like c# and have the use of lisp and prolog. as an ai programer for games do i lose anything if i forget about lisp and prolog or they give something that i dont know.

thanks for your help.

Advertisement

Well, certainly as far as prolog goes unless you've got experience of building a theorem engine, you're missing out on several decades of people developing them. Can't honestly point to a lot of use of prolog in games, but it used to get used a lot in expert systems and does have applications in natural language processing systems.

Part of the power about LISP is that code is data and data is code. That's not true in C# (or any of the languages of that family) where code and data are very separate things. LISP has seen commercial use in games (The "Jak and Daxter" series) and the Emacs editor written in it sees widespread use in the UNIX development world.

If you're going to be a game AI developer, you should very definitely understand why those languages are used where they are much better -- quite apart from any other reason, academic AI research projects are often implemented in them.

For C# and the code/data thing, that is changing. Since the introduction of Lambda, Closures and expression trees the code/data boundary has shifted. I use this a lot in my C#

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement