Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quake3 and Unreal engine specs

This topic is 5870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on the engine specs for Q3 and the Unreal engine. You know all the info regarding what''s the maximum polygon count and what feature they support. Moby Imagination is more important then Knowledge -Albert Einstein

I don''t think you''re going to find that easily
Also the capabilities of both the engines varies greatly depending on what you want the engine to run on, from a p3 to a high end athlon.

I believe usualy UT could run 5000 polys, not sure about Q3.
That''s changing, some newer maps are much more detailed as are the models, as more and more people get geforce3''s and so on. Newer versions of the engines, like duke nukem forever (UT) alice (Q3) could support more then the org because they had been tweaked by the producers and who ever liscened the engine.

average numbers
UT - 2000-4000 polys a screen
q3a - 10000 polys a screen

the reason ut is a lot lower is it wasnt designed to take advantage of 3d hardware.
http://www.cgonline.com/features/011114-f2-f1.html

Crap thats not good! if you want to make a game with UT and your characters are avraging around 1500 polygons per screen and lets say I have up to 5-10 of these characters per screen things won''t work.

Zedzeek forgive my ingnorance, but what do you mean when you say UT was not designed to take advantage of 3D hardware? I was under the impression that it supported 3D hardware acceleration just like most 3D engines in its caliber.

Imagination is more important then Knowledge
-Albert Einstein

Guest Anonymous Poster
Forget my question Zedzeek about why UT was not designed for 3D hardware acceleration, I read the article from the link you sent.

Thanks, Dude

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m gonna take a stab. I believe UT simply uses hardware to accelerate rendering of polygons. However, the primitives are actually *transformed* in software by UT itself. This is why the compatibility of UT and its software renderer is a big deal. It will operate on any machine, because it does not require hardware to transform all primatives.