• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Techieman

OpenGL Creating an OpenGL Context using EGL

This topic is 1112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I've recently come across EGL, which happens to be a unified official cross-platform standard to replace (or at least abstract around) the platform-specific windowing/context-creation APIs. By my understanding it was made for OpenGL ES, but however, since Version 1.4 "eglBindAPI" takes another optional Parameter : "EGL_OPENGL_API". 

Does this mean, I can create an OpenGL 4 Context on Windows, Linux and Mac OS using EGL?
If yes, where do I find the development libraries?

LG Julien

Advertisement

I can only speak for Windows, but there is no EGL implementation for Windows afaik ( emulators do not count ), in fact you may be hard-pressed to find any implementation for the platform listed. The EGL libraries would have to be provided by the platform you are using, much like how WGL, X Windows and whatever Mac OS uses ( thinks its Quartz ). The headers are readily available from the Khronos website, but that is all you will get. EGL has to be implemented at the system level on the platform you are targeting, its not just an add-on.

Found this with Google, seems to answer (some of) your questions: http://www.g-truc.net/post-0457.html

Not sure about the GL4 thing.. doubtful at the moment, think it's aimed at GLES.. but newer GLES are sort of converging with GL I think. I doubt EGL is the best option for desktop GL.

Edited by Erik Rufelt

We're (or better I am, since Platform abstraction and rendering is my part in the engine) using our own classes for window creation. 
Those classes are already ported and tested. 

It's just about the context creation.

Edited by MyNameIsJulien

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!