Why did COD: AW move every file into the same folder where .exe is?

Started by
12 comments, last by JohnnyCode 8 years, 6 months ago

I've pretty much played every COD (COD4, MW2, MW3, BO1, BO2 and now AW) and they organize every file into their respective folder. For example, In all previous CODs, they put all *.bik in 'Videos' folder and maps and other stuff in Main/zone/English or whatever. But in Advanced Warfare, they moved everything outside and kept it unorganized. So, unlike other CODs, there is no 'Main' or 'Videos' folder. Everything is now in same folder where executable is. What is the reason behind this? For easy programming or for faster file loading? (Maybe because this game is sized 53.5 GB?)

ioBoJPT.png

Advertisement

This is Steam, do they even have an ability to control that?

Besides, why do you care? It works and that's enough.

Edit: It seems my post sounded way more rude than I intended it to.

I downvoted your post because with that reasoning we'd all still be programming software in 8-bit assembly. There's nothing wrong with asking why some games do some things differently than others, it can spark interesting discussions especially regarding file packing, asset loading etc, even if the actual answer is as simple as "no reason, it just worked well enough that way". Answering "why do you care" is no way to foster a community of thoughtful and well-rounded programmers.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Steam is nothing special as a developer you have the control over where files are located in your own directory structure.

It looks like COD went with an archive format for their files now which allows for better compression on the archived files. This will in turn have a faster load from the disc with perhaps a trade of in the decompression step of those files in the archive. The massive FF files seem to be the archive files. And it seems like they made a single archive per location which means you dont have to jump through the directory structure to load the files for a level. This is offcourse all speculation on my part :)

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Steam is nothing special as a developer you have the control over where files are located in your own directory structure.

It looks like COD went with an archive format for their files now which allows for better compression on the archived files. This will in turn have a faster load from the disc with perhaps a trade of in the decompression step of those files in the archive. The massive FF files seem to be the archive files. And it seems like they made a single archive per location which means you dont have to jump through the directory structure to load the files for a level. This is offcourse all speculation on my part smile.png

They had FF files before but they were in Main/English/Zone folder. Now they're all in same folder as where .exe is located. I just need to know if keeping every asset file in same folder where executable is located has any advantage or not :P

I do have an issue with directories sometimes, it's "\\" or "\" or "/" ...... agghhh

You can end up in a situation where the PC build works perfectly, but the PS4 build crashes violently simply because someone types "sound\english\audiobank.dat" instead of "sound/english/audiobank.dat"

Or a PC build crashes because they forgot to put @ in front of a path, or many other combinations of the above.

But dumping everything in a single directory to get rid of this issue seems a bit like using a 13 pound sledgehammer to crack a nut.

It's probably in no way shape or form an advantage. Unless they were trying to avoid writing relative paths. I'm surprised that they published the game like that. But... if it doesn't do havock with the game's loading time... It probably don't matter.

In my imagination... in the development process, the programs were confusing \ and /. And years of doing that, and causing builds to fail just eventually pissed off the heads. So the heads were like...

"YOU KNOW WHAT!? F*** IT! WHY NOT JUST THROW ALL THESE FREAKIN FILES INTO THE SAME GOD DANG FOLDER!"

Though... it was probably spoken of in sarcasm. Given CoDs direction... they probably don't understand sarcasm anymore, and took it as an actual design recommendation.

I don't imagine its any sort of advantage. Its certainly not a performance advantage. Don't take it as something you should do. Or shouldn't do, for that matter. Its entirely incidental.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I do have an issue with directories sometimes, it's "\\" or "\" or "/" ...... agghhh

Just FYI, Windows has allowed forward slashes "/" as directory delimiters for a long time.

Just FYI, Windows has allowed forward slashes "/" as directory delimiters for a long time.

Since DOS 1.0.

As for paths in games... Why would you ever take a path from a designer and not normalize it. If it's a programmer doing it, then you should have better path creation tools and/or normalize them.

Frankly, if you're hard coding paths into your runtime... You're going to have other issues than just platform porting.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement