(Another) Terraria Clone

Started by
5 comments, last by baseball435 8 years, 3 months ago
Hello Everyone,
It's been a long time since my last post here but I wanted to show you all my newest project that I have been working on for a little over a week now. Yes, it is yet another Terraria-clone (currently unnamed until I come up with a specific direction) that I am developing using LibGDX and Java. Unlike most other clones, my main focus for the game is to optimize it as much as possible to allow it to be played smoothly on mobile (Android) devices. Because of this my sole focus is to design complex algorithms to keep the amount of resources and memory being used as low as possible. For example, the two big things that I am currently focusing on optimizing are the world management system and the lighting system. Right now I have the world management system and the dynamic light system pretty much done. I am able to have a world with 1,620,000 tiles managed efficiently and ran on an Android device at a stable 30 fps. I have not tried exceeding that size world although I will in the future to see what most devices can handle. I also developed my own physics system which efficiently handles collisions for all entities in the world.
Current Features
  • Basic random world generation using Perlin Noise
  • World Management System
  • Physics System
  • Dynamic Lighting System
  • Saving and Loading Worlds
  • Block Breaking System
  • Item and Inventory System
Current Focus
  • Working on implementing user interactions; specifically placing blocks if they're selected in the inventory.
Stream
I live stream development of the game whenever I am working on it. You can watch my streams here. Be sure to sign up and follow me to get notified when I am streaming. I stream everyday for a few hours a day!

Video Feature Showcase - December 19th, 2015

Update #3 - December 17th, 2015
I managed to implement procedural generation of caves, ores, and trees. The cave generation values need to be played with a tad, but as of right now it works great. You can see a picture of the updates below. Let me know what you guys think!
UMwFur2.png
Update #2 - October 5th, 2015
So I added the inventory and item system to the game! I also added drops when breaking blocks. Here is an image of what it looks like currently. The next thing to do is to add the ability to place blocks based on what is selected in the inventory. Let me know what you guys think!
sxG3ZEJ.png
Update #1 - September 30th, 2015
Here are some images of the game (The newest images are the top images):
8H7Dc6r.png
0JoF0Ll.png
frut7bR.png
As I continue development I will continue posting images and progress updates here. Let me know what you guys think! :pirate:
Advertisement
So I added the inventory and item system to the game! I also added drops when breaking blocks. Here is an image of what it looks like currently. The next thing to do is to add the ability to place blocks based on what is selected in the inventory. Let me know what you guys think!
sxG3ZEJ.png
Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I last posted an update to this game and that's because college kind of took over most of my time. Now that I am on winter break, I have began continuing development of the game. Over the past 24 hours I managed to implement procedural generation of caves, ores, and trees. The cave generation values need to be played with a tad, but as of right now, it works great. You can see a picture of the updates below. Let me know what you guys think!
UMwFur2.png
From the screenshot it's really difficult to tell which tiles are "empty" and which are solid. I.e. the foreground/background needs to be much easier to distinguish.

From the screenshot it's really difficult to tell which tiles are "empty" and which are solid. I.e. the foreground/background needs to be much easier to distinguish.

That's a good point. I will darken the background tiles to make it a little more distinguishable! Thanks for the suggestion!

Just released a video showcasing the current features in the game and what I plan on working on next! Let me know what you think!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement