Processing Language

Started by
1 comment, last by cavendert 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to programming, and currently working alot with HTML, CSS, and Javascripting. But, a friend of mine had shown me a language called "Processing", and wanted to know the general opinion about it, as I really see that popping up in the forums.

Advertisement
It's a simplified variant of Java really but with a slant for creating graphical applications.

My take on it is that it's good for teaching kids how to code, or for giving non-coders in general a taster of what it's like to program. We even used it at work once to prototype something before building it 'for real' in C++. But if you already know how to code and are looking for a next language to learn for career-building purposes then stick to more mainstream, commercially applicable languages like Java, C#, Python for example.

If programming is more of a casual interest of yours and you enjoy that instant result, instant gratification loop (that you very often get from web dev) then Processing might be just the sort of thing you want to try!

Awesome, that is the description I was looking for! I was already working a bit with C# (Not a ton), and just happened to come across processing. Like I said, wasn't sure what it's "real world" applications were, especially since I would like to make a career out of this one day.

Thank you for the advice!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement